Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

Brake squealing

(1/5) > >>

Matt2matt2002:
A set up a new pair of blue Swiss tops on my Case rims but had a terrible squeal start.
Toed them in. No luck
Swapped front to back
. No luck.
Narrowed the squeal down to one side on the front.
Removed pad and holder and discovered a wobble on the threaded part that enters at right angle to the holder.
The other 3 holders don't have a wobble.

Decided the wobble was the cause and called SJS.
Nice young man suggested part 30195 which although not specifically for XTR, should fit.
Reduced to £11 from £23!
Comes with pads but I should be able to swap them over.

I'll let you know if the squeal disappears.

Anyone else had this problem?

jags:
when i used to ride with the group i loved it when my brakes squealed used to craic up the glory riders ;D ;D ;D
long live squealing brakes.

anto.

John Saxby:
Och, but you're a terrible man, Anto  ;)

martinf:
Squealing brakes are useful to warn pedestrians on shared paths, IMO works better than a bell.

But the noise annoys my wife when I ride with her, so I generally try and eliminate or at least reduce squeal.

geocycle:
I like my brakes to be silent along with the rest of the bike.  However, the squeal ghoul does seem to make random appearances.  I've never had a problem with swisstop blues and CSS rims.  Just this week my front wheel which is now non-CSS grizzly with standard (Aztec???) blocks started practising for Halloween with no warning and having been fine for months.  Then equally suddenly it has stopped, no idea why!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version