Author Topic: Soliciting Suspension seatpost recommendations  (Read 29101 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Soliciting Suspension seatpost recommendations
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2018, 08:34:05 pm »
There is this one, it seems a good compromise with 5cm of clearance, available for long travel model : http://byschulz.com/komponenten/sitzkomfort/parallel-gefederte-sattelstuetze-g2/
Julien,

I have not used the Schulz 'post, but a friend of mine in Germany purchased this seatpost and reports he has been very happy with it. No problems at all after a year of use.

I have not seen or used the Redshift seatpost, so I have no experience with it I can pass on to you.

One potential issue for non-Thudbuster parallelogram seatposts is whether the saddle rails will clear the linkages at the front through the whole range of available travel. I know some fitments of Brooks saddles on the SunTour seatpost result in an initial interference and "clicking" sound until the edge of the aluminum seatpost link wears(!) away. It seems this might initially limit travel as well. Our own Forum member StuntPilot has noticed this and so far as I know, remains very happy with his SunTour parallelogram suspension seatpost even after extensive use.

I do like the idea of adjustable springs, but I don't have personal experience with them.

I made (they are relatively easy to construct if you have machining tools) a telescopic suspension seatpost that has been in operation for my tandem stoker the last 15 years or so. She reports it is helpful and won't ride without it, but I do notice it has noticeably more "stiction" (sticky friction) than my parallelogram Thudbusters, so it hangs up a little at various points in its movement.

Have you made a choice yet? If so, I'd love to hear how you like your new suspension seatpost, Julien.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 06:25:30 pm by Danneaux »

jul

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2018, 04:45:08 pm »
Hi Dan,

My preference is for the BySchulz G.2 LT .. (27.2 diameter x 380 length in mm)

I don't have my Nomad next to me, because i'm not at home at this time, but i  think dimensions 27.2X380 mm will fit properly...

I'll tell you the feedback  :)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2018, 06:24:27 pm »
I'll tell you the feedback
Perfect, Julien; thanks!  :)

All the best,

Dan.

jul

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2018, 02:12:06 pm »
I received my Byschulz suspension seat post (used but as new), and because it was a correct price, i didn't choose the right recommendation about hardness.

The spring installed is recommended for people between 80 to 105 kg, and me i weigh 70 kg.

By Schulz recommendation for me, is a spring more flexible for people between 60 to 85 kg

I can't try my suspension seat post currently (i'm not at home), but do you think i make a mistake ?

However, i can always buy a new spring for 20 euros.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2018, 05:27:19 pm »
I can't try my suspension seat post currently (i'm not at home), but do you think i make a mistake ?
Hmm. If it were me, here is what I would do:

1) Wait till I could get home and then install the seatpost and try it. Where it is used, it is unlikely you can return it, so well worth a try.

2) If the spring proves to be too hard (I think it will), then I would order the replacement spring.

3) If you are pressed for time (i.e. need it for a tour that will happen soon), then I would order the more appropriate spring right away so you can try it soonest.

I have found actual spring tensions in suspension seatposts vary according to your riding position (a factor beyond "recommended rider weight"). Because I use drop handlebars and prefer a 45° back angle, I require a softer spring than a more upright riding position would indicate. I simply don't put enough weight on my saddle to effectively activate the seatpost (in my case, Thudbuster LT and ST models) if I use the recommended "springs" (elastomers).

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dan.

jul

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2018, 09:46:41 pm »
Hi Dan, thanks 

I imagined because the nomad is confortable loaded without suspension seatpost, than i don't need to have a softer spring, and a little harder spring could be enough..

I will make a feedback later

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2018, 09:51:27 pm »
I imagined because the nomad is confortable loaded without suspension seatpost, than i don't need to have a softer spring, and a little harder spring could be enough..
It might be okay! If so, you can save the 20 Euros. :)

I find I don't need my suspension seatpost(s) when riding fully loaded, but it sure helps -- is even necessary -- for me when riding the Nomad unladen on really rough roads.
I will make a feedback later
Thanks! This will help others in the future and I'm really interested in your experience with this seatpost. My friend has one of this brand and likes it very much; I hope you will also like it.

Best,

Dan.

jul

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2018, 09:57:10 am »
First conclusive test  :)

It's impressive how comfortable it is. The back is much less solicited.

Finally, even if i ordered the softer spring to compare, i choose to ride with the harder, i think it does very well the job, without much bouncing effect.

However, the softer spring will be fine for path only and bike not loaded

PS: Do not forget to add a drop of Loctite on torx screws.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 10:34:27 am by julio »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2018, 03:29:01 pm »
Thanks for the update, Julien; all sounds good!

Best,

Dan.