Author Topic: Another Chain Question!!  (Read 3548 times)

Thomas777

Another Chain Question!!
« on: September 28, 2018, 08:49:00 pm »
Currently on tour in Europe and my wife's bike is Rohloff equipped. I have had to retension her chain 2x's. So it got me to thinking. Are single speed chains less prone to "stretch" than say a 6,7,8 speed chain?

rualexander

Re: Another Chain Question!!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 09:40:36 pm »
Why have you had to retension the chain? Was it falling off the sprocket?
If not, then you don't need to touch it, they can be run pretty slack no problem.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 09:58:08 pm »
I'm running a 1/8in chain on my Fixie to match the thicker track sprocket and chainring. More surface area but so far the chain is "stretching" about as much as my 3/32in ones. Perhaps it is because riding Fixed, the chain has to absorb both drive and braking forces.

Best,

Dan.

martinf

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 08:12:03 am »
Not noticed any statistically valid difference between wear using 1/8" and 3/32" chains.

I did get much longer mileages using Renolds chains (more than 30 years ago) and much quicker wear using the Shimano chains with bulged outer links in the early 1980's, so type of chain and model might make a difference.

Thomas777

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 12:16:44 pm »
Thanks for your replies!!

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 04:13:55 pm »
[One of the great advantages of net fora is that you can disappear embarrassing posts, which is why the opening paragraph of this post has gone poof! after the excellent MacSpud tipped me the nod.]

There's another consideration that shouldn't be overlooked. If your wife's bike has an eccentric bottom bracket, is it correctly done up, or has it shifted? Same story if her Rohloff is fitted to a slotted, sliding rear end: have you, or the mechanic, done it up right?

I take it you are aware that the chain pulling a Rohloff is run quite a bit slacker than derailleur types or even other hub gearboxes.

Also, a Rohloff chain is supposed to run perfectly parallel to the frame's centreline, the so-called chainline. If it is off, the built-in sideways play in a derailleur chain may give superior wear, whereas a fixie chain will bind and wear faster.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 11:53:27 pm by Andre Jute »

macspud

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 05:40:38 pm »