Author Topic: New lighting article from Jan Heine  (Read 5774 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
New lighting article from Jan Heine
« on: September 20, 2018, 06:39:36 pm »
Hi All!

Interesting new article from Jan Heine on bicycle lighting...
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2018/09/20/myth-14-more-lumens-make-a-better-light/

Best,

Dan.

David Simpson

Re: New lighting article from Jan Heine
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 08:00:58 pm »
That article is Number 14 is a series of "Myths in Cycling". I haven't read them yet, but they look very interesting, especially since many of the topics are relevant to Thorn touring bikes (wider tires, steel frame, fender, rim brakes, etc).
  • Myth 1: Wider tires are slower
  • Myth 2: Titanium is lighter than steel
  • Myth 3: Fenders slow you down
  • Myth 4: Stiffer frames are faster
  • Myth 5: An upright position is always more comfortable
  • Myth 6: Tread patterns don’t matter on the road
  • Myth 7: Tubeless tires roll faster
  • Myth 8: Modern components are lighter
  • Myth 9: Fork blades don’t flex
  • Myth 10: Stiffer forks steer better
  • Myth 11: Rear tires should run at (significantly) higher pressures
  • Myth 12: Disc brakes work better than rim brakes
  • Myth 13: Leaning without Countersteering
  • Myth 14: More lumens make a better light
Here is the link to the first article. At the bottom of the article you will find links to the other articles.
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2018/01/03/12-myths-in-cycling-1-wider-tires-are-slower/

- DaveS

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 08:07:27 pm »
Nothing wrong in referencing these other articles, Dave, but -- please -- if further discussion of non-lighting topics occurs, it should be on a relevant board else the topic structure will go all higgledy-piggledy and it will be difficult for future readers to find discussions in the expected places.  :)

All the best,

Dan.

David Simpson

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 08:51:50 pm »
Thanks for the friendly reminder, Dan. I have started a new thread about the articles:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13116.0

- DaveS

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 10:51:10 pm »
Perfect, Dave; Well done.  :)

All the best,

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 11:58:47 pm »
My original vintage B&M Lumotec oval had that straight ahead beam like the flashlight, I agree that is not a very good beam. 

And both my AXA Luxx 70 Plus and my B&M Luxos U have very good wide light patterns that waste almost no light above the horizon. 

Jan did not mention one more thing on some high end lights, both my Luxos U and my Luxx 70 Plus have extra LEDs that light up at slower speeds to put more light on the ground closer to you and wider for slower speed riding.  But those LEDs shut off at higher speed because then the close in lighting is not needed as much.  Those close up LEDs come on quite suddenly on the Luxx 70 Plus which some people on the internet commented that they did not like them, I have gotten used to them.  The close LEDs on the Luxos U come on less suddenly and most people I think like that better.  I suspect that some other B&M lights might use those close up LEDs too, but since I am not shopping for any lights I am not going to research that.

When it comes to bike touring, I spend so little time riding in the dark, that my next bike tour might just use a small battery powered headlamp.  Then my dynohub would be dedicated to 100 percent battery charging.  I mostly use dynohub lighting around home, not touring

A side note:  I picked up a used dynohub wheel (looks new) for a fraction of what a new wheel would cost, I put on my errand bike.  I used a vintage Lumotec Oval that was intended for a sidewall generator, thus no switch.  Easiest wiring job I have ever done.  Both the light and the hub were grounded to the fork, thus only one wire needed.  Taillight is battery, not dynohub powered.

Easiest mounting job I have ever done, one long M5 bolt and several nuts into the fork dropout.

Lots of weird shadows on the ground when the light is that low, I don't like it that low but for the short errands that are all done on well lit streets, it is perfectly adequate.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 12:00:43 am by mickeg »