Author Topic: Carbon forks?  (Read 2647 times)

Inbred

Carbon forks?
« on: September 19, 2018, 08:27:32 am »
I'd like to shed a bit of weight from my Thorn Sterling and was considering swapping the Mt Tura forks for some carbon ones. I've seen photos of them with carbon forks and I was wondering if anyone had done this and had any recommendations?
It obviously has to be for a 26" wheel. Having disc and V brake mounts would be helpful, but disc only wouldn't be a problem.
I don't plan on carrying any weight on the front of the bike.
Thanks in advance for the help 🙂👍

jags

Re: Carbon forks?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 04:08:52 pm »
Well worth it much lighter steering makes for easier cycling.I think sjs sell carbon forks for 26.

John Saxby

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 04:22:18 pm »
I have some experience going the other way -- switching out carbon forks for steel ones. My quick suggestion, from this experience, would be to look for quality steel forks, the best you can afford.

My thinking and experience after the switch may be helpful:

In 2003 I bought a nice ti-framed light touring derailleur bike with 700c wheels and carbon forks. (I didn't know much at the time about the pros and cons of CF forks -- just followed the advice of friends who were experienced cyclists.)

The CF forks worked reasonably well for 12 years. The biggest shortcoming was that they didn't have bosses for fixing mudguards, so I fitted a plastic strap-on affair (Cascadia or SKS, I can't recall.)  It was OK in the wet, but no more than that, and looked like a tie-on bit of rubbish.

The outer/upper surfaces of the forks did get a bit scuffed, but "not too badly", in the opinion of a couple of bike shops.  I asked about their shelf life, but no-one seemed to know.  A couple of friends did tell me about seeing CF forks collapse with no warning, and said, "It was not a pretty sight..."  I ride a lot in hilly countryside, often on poorly maintained tarmac, so began to think about what-if's, going downhill in places where there were few comfy grass verges if the forks one day said "Enuf!"

--Luckily, around this time, four years ago I bought my Raven, so these Bad Vibes disappeared.--

A couple of years ago, I refreshed the derailleur bike.  That included replacing the CF forks with a pair of good-quality steel items, the Surly Cross.  These have similar trail to the CF forks.  They made no noticeable difference in weight to the bike, and they are rock-steady on curvy fast downhills, as well as on slower bumpy ones.  They also have braze-ons for mudguards and a rack if needed.  I don't use a rack on this bike, but I do like my spiffy shiny Velo Orange hammered-alloy mudguards.

Hope that's helpful, and good luck!

leftpoole

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 10:57:52 am »
I have some experience going the other way -- switching out carbon forks for steel ones. My quick suggestion, from this experience, would be to look for quality steel forks, the best you can afford.

My thinking and experience after the switch may be helpful:

In 2003 I bought a nice ti-framed light touring derailleur bike with 700c wheels and carbon forks. (I didn't know much at the time about the pros and cons of CF forks -- just followed the advice of friends who were experienced cyclists.)

John,
Lets get things in perspective!
Those CF forks purchased way back are nowhere comparable to modern CF forks. Totally different and quite obviously much improved.
I prefer steel bikes. I like Reynolds 853 forks. I have two bikes with Italian built CF forks. They are very nice indeed and ride well.
Just remember a great deal of updating has gone into how CF is used in the manufacture process. I once owned a brand new Giant Cadex road bike in carbon the 'new' idea. It was a horrible bike and it soon went for sale. That bike in 1995 paved the way for todays CF bikes. I would never buy a CF bike but I just needed to make this point which was somehow overlooked.
John

Inbred

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 07:28:26 pm »
I didn’t really want to start a fight. Just looking for recommendations.
I particularly like how this Sterling, from the 2011 brochure, looks with carbon forks.
Nice!