Author Topic: Rohloff Cable Repairs - London  (Read 4699 times)

Fred A-M

Rohloff Cable Repairs - London
« on: September 18, 2018, 03:29:02 pm »
Just blowing off a few cobwebs in this forum so to speak!

I live in London, so occassionally when I have the very occassional a cabling issue with the Rohloff, I increasingly don't have the time to relearn and fix at a snail's pace.

Earlier this year, I had a cable issue (the cable attached to the hub itself) and took it to an outlet proclaiming themselves proficient in Rohloff, which sadly they weren't.  After about 5 miles, a connector barrel  duly came undone and the connector housing piece duly flew off because the cable hadn't been secured properly.  Thankfully managed find the piece after 30 minutes of scouring the road and re-thread and secure properly as the cable cut was still sufficiently clean.  However, other issues included a clunking EBB which had been way overtightened, and also an EBB alignment that was very questionable indeed.

So I'd appreciate any recommendations for any London-based mechanics whom you've had a satisfactory experience with. 

Cheers, Fred 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 11:41:44 pm by Fred A-M »

TheShipwright

Re: Rohloff Cable Repairs - London
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 10:51:46 pm »
bikefix in WC1 do a lot with Rohloff. Not used them myself for any Rohloff work.

Fred A-M

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 11:40:59 pm »
Thanks Shipwright - unfortunately that's the place I'm referring to above. - I've done most of my maintenance previously myself including cabling, but when you are paying someone to save you the time you expect them to get it right and in fact they got pretty much everything wrong as best as I could tell.   

I fed back to the owner as constructively as I could, but whilst acknowledging the schoolboy errors he was being too defensive of his mechanic for it to instill any confidence that lessons would be learned and for me to want to go back.   

So thanks again, but what I'm really after is recommendation based on actual personal satisfactory experience if at all possible!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 11:45:04 pm by Fred A-M »

geocycle

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 08:56:32 am »
Welcome back to the forum Fred! Great to know you still have the RST.  Your pics (and those of Fredered)  inspired me down the same route back in 2006 and I am still very happy.  Have moved the hub from a raven tour to a raven sport tour but otherwise still rohling along nicely.  Hope you find someone in London to get everything sorted for you when you get the wheel back from SJS. 

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 09:17:30 am »
Yes! Definitely echoing Geo's greeting; welcome back, Fred!

All the best,

Dan.

TheShipwright

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 05:46:30 pm »
Hi Fred, I did wonder if it was them given there's not many places that are happy to work on a Rohloff.
I wonder if you've simply been unlucky with sketchy service on this occassion? Is it worth going back to them and explaining your situation and see how they react?

Fred A-M

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 08:30:24 pm »
Welcome back to the forum Fred! Great to know you still have the RST.  Your pics (and those of Fredered)  inspired me down the same route back in 2006 and I am still very happy.  Have moved the hub from a raven tour to a raven sport tour but otherwise still rohling along nicely.  Hope you find someone in London to get everything sorted for you when you get the wheel back from SJS.

LOL ref Rohling along nicely, thanks Geocyle,  I think I do remember!  Likewise very happy with my RST, hopefully a bike for life, even if it is just a glorified commuter at present - I rode a v good inheritated mountain bike for a couple of years  (less of a thief magnet on London streets), and resumed recently on the RST due to more secure work-site parking and found myself marvelling at what a ride the RST is, falling in love all over again!   

Yes! Definitely echoing Geo's greeting; welcome back, Fred!

Cheers Dan and good to see the forum still in your more than capable hands!

Hi Fred, I did wonder if it was them given there's not many places that are happy to work on a Rohloff.
I wonder if you've simply been unlucky with sketchy service on this occassion? Is it worth going back to them and explaining your situation and see how they react?

Thanks Shipwright, yes I did that and got a credit for a free oil change out of them, but that's easy enough to do myself to be honest, and the faff of taking and collecting the bike from central London during the week is also a disincentive as it's unlikely to be done on the spot.  I might go back if pushed for cabling only if I can't bring myself to fix it myself, invariably a slow learning exercise as  far as I'm concerned!  :P

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 11:22:39 am »
Bicycle Workshop used to be our go to place for Rohloff servicing in London. Sadly Ninon had to close, she does still do some work though if you call her https://www.bicycleworkshop.co.uk/

Her best mechanic went on to work for Mike works for Hub Custom bikes, so as long as you can get it booked in with him I think you would be safe there too.

Hope this helps  ;)

Fred A-M

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 06:48:31 pm »
Bicycle Workshop used to be our go to place for Rohloff servicing in London. Sadly Ninon had to close, she does still do some work though if you call her https://www.bicycleworkshop.co.uk/

Her best mechanic went on to work for Mike works for Hub Custom bikes, so as long as you can get it booked in with him I think you would be safe there too.

Hope this helps  ;)

Thanks Dave, much appreciated!  Cheers, Fred

TheShipwright

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 08:45:08 pm »
Hi Fred,
I wondered how you got on looking for someone to work your Rohloff in London? I'm london based and have had Dave at SJS (who's excellent) work on my hub a couple of times but would like something closer to home for smaller jobs.

Thanks