Community > Non-Thorn Related

Rohloff Rebuild Delivery & Insurance Costs

(1/3) > >>

Fred A-M:
Hello, and yes, it's been a while!  ;D

I need to send a Rohloff hub to SJS for a wheel rebuild.

SJS recommend Parcel2Go, but as soon as you acknowledge with any of the carriers that there's an £800 hub concerned, they want to charge you £50-60 in insurance for the priviledge of transporting your parcel safely, which is what they should be doing in the first instance - it just feels like an absurd racket designed to make you feel insecure about sending a high value item.

Does anyone have any enlightening thoughts or suggestions?  I note that SJS only charge £4.95 for the return of a built wheel, so it seems that they are happy to make the decision to go uninsured for you as default. 

Cheers,  Fred

macspud:
Royal Mail Special Delivery™ Guaranteed by 1pm

Tracked and signed for

Insured up to £1000 for loss or damage

£12.00

Buy online @ https://www.royalmail.com/personal/sending-parcels/

Fred A-M:
Thanks very much  :) - don't know why I didn't think of that myself really!  ::)

However, ref managing expectations of cost, it's worth noting that they appear to have revised the default insurance down to £500, which I'm guessing is since you last used the service.

With additional insurance to cover £1,000, seems to be suggesting £27.60 based on info given for the quote.  Can just about live with that for peace of mind.

Thanks again, off down the PO without delay.

Fred

Matt2matt2002:
Just out of interest and I hope you don't mind me asking but what's the background/ reason for the hub service?

Fred A-M:
Not at all, no problem -  rimwear on the original CR-18 rim supplied with my RST 12 years ago.  That sounds long but I've not used the RST for at least 3 of those years and generally only used it for commuting say 40 miles a week for most of it's lifetime after having done a few cycle tours in the first few years. 

I had the very first spoke breakage last week and thought, without having the tool or nous to scientifically gauge exactly how critically so, that the rim looked fairly worn - a bit prematurely in my opinion. 

So ultimately peace of mind is the prompt I guess & the fact I wasn't prepared to have a spoke fixed by anyone who isn't Rohloff savvy - am also minded to think that if one spoke has broken, others will follow soon and so thought I may as well get the wheel rebuilt.

Cheers

Fred

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version