Author Topic: Older or newer Twistshifter  (Read 6157 times)

jul

Older or newer Twistshifter
« on: September 16, 2018, 02:52:01 pm »
Hi,

How can i know if my actual twistshifter is the older or newer version ? I would like to replace my used rubber grip by the wave design...

https://www.bike-discount.de/fr/acheter/rohloff-rubber-grip-for-shift-grip-732867

Thanks

mickeg

Re: Older or newer Twistshifter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 05:57:56 pm »
Do what you want, I am simply throwing out another option.

I have tried several modifications to my twist grip over the five years since I built up my Nomad.  My latest modification is one I am pretty happy with.  I put three beads of black shoe goo on it to be similar to a triangular shape.  Did that in late 2016, has stayed in place just great and gives me a good grip on the older round version (2013) version of the shifter.

Shoe Goo is available in USA, I do not know if available elsewhere.  It is a viscous liquid in a tube like toothpaste that you can apply to worn shoe soles to make your soles last longer.  On my deck shoes, the Shoe Goo is a harder material than my original deck shoes were, it wears much longer.

martinf

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 07:14:58 am »
Shoe Goo is available in USA, I do not know if available elsewhere. 

Shoe Goo was available via Amazon in Europe a few years ago. I live in France and the packet that arrived was posted from Spain.

I used it for repairing shoes, for which it is good, and patched some tread cuts in lightweight Kojak tyres used on Bromptons (don't know if this did much good or not). Still got the tube, don't know if it has gone hard or not.

I have the new type "wavy" Rohloff shifter, so far I haven't had any problems with the rubber grip.

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 08:23:02 am »
It's still available on Amazon ES. Very expensive, though.
Brian.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 10:38:43 am »
Anyone else find the grips, old and new, very slippery in hot humid weather?
Without gloves I found it hard to twist in Sri Lanka.

And I do like a twist in the tropics.....
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Oggi

• D-JAC Limited
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 10:52:41 am »
An alternative to shoe goo is sugru. It is a similar product, expensive, but I have used it for all sorts of applications. I have the new style shifter and don’t find it a problem. But to be honest heat and humidity is not usually a problem in the UK!  You can get sugru for Amazon or various other suppliers.

jul

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 01:48:31 pm »
Do you mean the wave design rubber grip did not solve the problem ?

I'm planning as well to find a solution with my used rubber grip, maybe to use handlebar tape in place to the rubber ...

John Saxby

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 03:37:07 pm »
On the Shoe-Goo/Sugru issue:  Both are good options, in my experience.  Shoe-Goo in black is not easily available in Canada--seems we have only the "clear" (actually translucent, foggy) colour, so I had to buy some of the black stuff from the U.S. via eBay.

That has other uses for a cyclist, so it's worth the expense.  Make sure you seal the tube & cap well after use.

Silicone-based sealants--e.g. sealants for exterior household applications--could work for things such as twist-grips, but you would need a sealant that dries to a firm (but not rigid or hard) consistency. Otherwise, you could find it so sticky that it's hard to get your gloves cleanly off the grip.

(Householders in Eastern Ontario spend a lot of time fussing with sealants, to keep water/snow/cold winds/etc at bay, so we have a range of options at most hardware stores. A look at the Permatex website should yield some ideas, although maybe not every product there would be available in the UK or Europe.)

mickeg

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 04:09:18 pm »
In USA the clear Shoe Goo is also much more common, I have not seen the black version in stores.  I bought my black tube on Ebay or Amazon.

I store both tubes in a glass bottle with tight fitting lid.  I do not know if that makes them last longer, but when I open the bottle I smell some hydrocarbon compounds, so it probably slows the off-gassing while in storage.

I think the clear version has more volatiles in it than the black version, the clear shrinks more upon hardening.

jul

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 09:14:32 pm »

Incredible Suguru   :)

Oggi

• D-JAC Limited
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 10:30:29 pm »
Sugru - duct tape for the 21 century.

jul

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 12:22:29 pm »
It did not withstood very long, best solution i think are the gloves..