Author Topic: Chain tensioner on the new Raven  (Read 14161 times)

marcg

Chain tensioner on the new Raven
« on: January 05, 2004, 07:13:18 am »
I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be a conventional chain tesnioner on the Rave and someone has suggested to me that an eccentric bottom bracket system is used instead.  I haven't noticed any reference to this in the brochure although I may have missed it.  Is it correct that an EBB is used?

Andrew

Re: Chain tensioner on the new Raven
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2004, 10:26:02 am »
quote:
Originally posted by marcg

I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be a conventional chain tesnioner on the Rave and someone has suggested to me that an eccentric bottom bracket system is used instead.  I haven't noticed any reference to this in the brochure although I may have missed it.  Is it correct that an EBB is used?

Hi Marcg,

Yes your right, we have designed a lightweight alloy eccentric for chain adjustment & had our own Rohloff specific dropouts made.
This makes it simple to drop out the rear wheel -
1. quick release the V brakes,
2. unclip the two Rohloff cables,
3. quick release your skewer and the wheel is ready to drop out!
... simple and easy.

Chain adjustment is also quick and easy, we supply all frames with a lightweight alloy eccentric adjustment tool.

Regards

Andrew

Eccentric bottom bracket for chain adjustment.

Thorn Rohloff specific, cast stainless steel, vertical, twin eyed, socketed dropouts.

Stijn

Re: Chain tensioner on the new Raven
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 03:58:31 pm »
There are several ways of tensioning a chain, but a EBB is by far the most elegant solution. It make removing the rear wheel a breeze, and hardly ever needs adjusting, untill you get a lot of chainware. Andy did a realy nice job designing the Thorn Rohloff cast iron drop-outs. Thorn has the only bike on the market with this arrangment. All the German bikes have the Rohloff OEM drop-outs which are much less strong. Thorn had the advantage of having a Tandem backgroup, I guess.

Andrew,

My Raven came supplied with a heavy steel adjustment tool. Can I order an alloy one?

Cheers,

Stijn