Author Topic: Shwalbe Dureme any good?  (Read 4293 times)

Inbred

Shwalbe Dureme any good?
« on: September 12, 2018, 08:35:15 am »
I've read a lot of good things, in Thorn brochures, about Schwalbe Dureme tyres.
I see SJS have commissioned a run of these, once retired, tyres.
I was after some "real life" reviews before I part with £80.00 for a pair!
I'm currently running Panaracer Pasela 1.75". Would there be any marked differences or benefits of swapping?
Thanks in advance for the help 🙂👍

mickeg

Re: Shwalbe Dureme any good?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 03:10:02 pm »
I have never used any Panaracer tires, thus can't comment on them.

I have done some touring with a 50mm wide Dureme up front and a 50mm wide Extreme in the back.  For a while this year I had 50mm Duremes on both front and rear on my Nomad.

Mine are from before they were taken out of production.  My next trip that I am planning, I am not sure if I will use Dureme on both front and rear or only on front with an Extreme in the rear.  But I plan to use at least one Dureme, which I would not be doing if I did not like the tire.

There used to be two versions of the Dureme, one said Tandem Ready in red text on the tire and had a much stiffer sidewall.  I think the Tandem version probably has more rolling resistance.  I bought one Tandem version without realizing that I was buying that version until it arrived.  I have not looked at SJS site to see which they are selling.

My Duremes are folding tires, I often have trouble installing them because they flop around and the bead can fall off the rim before I can get air in them to hold them on the rim.  That would be my only complaint.

I can't comment on the narrower version you are looking at, mine are the 50mm wide.  But the two sizes are quite similar.

You did not say what you would use them for.  I have only used the Duremes for touring, except that for a while this year I used them on both front and rear to see what I thought of them as part of my planning for my next trip.  I do not use Duremes for riding an unladen bike, I think they are more robust than necessary for that.

julk

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 04:26:40 pm »
I like the ride I get with 2” Duremes.
They are a very comfortable all round tyre.

I had problems with Paselas not being stout enough for the local conditions and have moved through a few other Schwalbe tyres before staying with Duremes.

I use studded tyres on ice and thin snow.
Julian.

j-ms

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 12:14:27 pm »
I got 15,000 Km out of my rear Dureme before replacing it recently.  Front Dureme now over 17,000 Km and I'm guessing it will be good for another 5,000 Km.  Almost all of this on loaded touring in South Africa, SE Asia, Japan, Korea and Patagonia (including the infamous ripio roads of the Carretera Austral). 

My knowledge of tyres is limited but I have not complaints about the ride both on sealed as well as gravel roads.  Punctures have been few and far between excepting in South Africa where devil's thorns were their nemesis.

I bought a batch of spares when Thorn announced they had a run made for them.

Joe B

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 12:06:06 am »
Another vote in favour of the Dureme here.  I have the the 50mm wired version on my Thorn tandem as well as on my town/do-it-all bike, both pairs came from Spa Cycles who were selling them off cheap a couple of years ago. Good to know that they are now available again from SJS.

I rather like the Supreme too and run the 28mm folding version on my Thorn Audax and 26x1.5 on the recumbent.  The Supreme is a great year round road tyre while i prefer the Dureme on bikes that might occasionally venture off road. 

martinf

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 07:55:19 am »
Another vote in favour of the Dureme here.  I have the the 50mm wired version on my Thorn tandem as well as on my town/do-it-all bike, both pairs came from Spa Cycles who were selling them off cheap a couple of years ago. Good to know that they are now available again from SJS.

I rather like the Supreme too and run the 28mm folding version on my Thorn Audax and 26x1.5 on the recumbent.  The Supreme is a great year round road tyre while i prefer the Dureme on bikes that might occasionally venture off road.

I ran 50 mm Duremes on my old mountain bike, first during survey work that involved a lot of mild off-road riding on paths, tracks, fields, etc. and for a few years when it was used as a visitor bike. Now replaced the rear tyre with a Marathon Plus to idiot-proof the bike as much as possible, as I don't want visitors mucking about with the hub gear adjustement if they get a puncture.

For on-road touring I prefer 50 mm Supremes, which are lighter, slightly faster, but more fragile. I have a set of Duremes ready for when I next do a tour involving significant use of paths and tracks.