Author Topic: New style sprocket removal  (Read 1959 times)

neil_p

New style sprocket removal
« on: September 10, 2018, 08:52:01 pm »
I've noticed splodges of black oil on my chain. Advice from Thorn is to remove the sprocket and check the hub seal. I face new style sprocket and separate carrier. Do I remove just sprocket? Remove sprocket then carrier? Or both in one action?

And how does the carrier come off? With same tools/process as all in one sprocket/carrier?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: New style sprocket removal
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 09:02:33 pm »
And how does the carrier come off? With same tools/process as all in one sprocket/carrier?
<nods> Yes, I removed my splined carrier/cog as a unit, just as I removed my original threaded sprocket.

I occasionally swap back and forth so I can measure offsets and distances for others and for projects and so I've removed both kinds of sprockets and did nothing different when removing the splined kind, keeping the sprocket on the carrier and firmly attached with the snap-ring all in one action.

I use a decent chain whip (SunTour from back in the day) and a large adjustable wrench on the remover, which is held securely in place by the hub's quick release. Crossing the tools and squeezing is much easier for me then other methods. See: http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12931.0

Best,

Dan.