Author Topic: Thorn Raven Sports Tour Frame  (Read 2248 times)

Pavel

Thorn Raven Sports Tour Frame
« on: September 17, 2018, 11:30:34 pm »
One Bright Red Gloss Thorn Raven Sports Tour Frame for sale.  Size 586 short, suitable for someone between about 5'6" and 6'1" or so.  I just decided on this so ... umm, wanting $350 Us greenbacks, which if I remember right is peanuts compared to what it cost new.  I'd like to keep the sale state-side as otherwise it seems much like shipping coals to Newcastle.

$350, net to me, buyer pays shipping and pay pall fees. In a week or three I will post this on Craigslist. 

Sad to see my bright red dream bike go, but it's time to close old doors and move on.  I'll probably be listing my Nomad frame here shortly, though that makes me kind of choke up at the thought. :(

martinf

Re: Thorn Raven Sports Tour Frame
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 07:40:38 am »
I'm also quite fond of my (red) Raven Sport Tour bike. I use it for lightly-loaded day or half-day rides with no rack and just a Brooks saddlebag plus water bottles.

So this frame is a chance for someone to built up a light and sporty hub gear bike. I hesitated between Shimano Nexus 8 Premium and Rohloff and finally went for the Rohloff, not so smooth as the Shimano to start with but running-in nicely now. The latest model of the Shimano Alfine 11 might also be a good choice, as I expect Shimano have solved the reliability problems that sometimes occurred with their early version.

I chose 35 mm Kojak kevlar bead tyres, these run well and are comfortable on the good road surfaces I tend to use with this bike, and they will also just about cope with good paths and tracks. Some other good tyre options for the Sport Tour are 42 mm Marathon Supremes, which would give a bit more comfort on rougher surfaces, or the narrower 28 mm Schwalbe Pro One, a performance option if only using good road surfaces.