Author Topic: Swiss top retaining pins  (Read 9657 times)

mickeg

Re: Swiss top retaining pins
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2018, 07:17:23 pm »
I think that I have always re-used the pins.  Not for any particular reason, but the pins were right there from when I removed them and the new pins were still in the package that the pads were in.

Interesting, it never occurred to me that pins could vary.

macspud

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2018, 08:58:32 pm »
I can confirm Matt2matt2002 that you have now fitted them correctly, they should always be fitted right down.

Many thanks. Always good to hear from the expert!

I'm just wondering if I should enlighten my LBS.....

I think  you  should indeed  enlighten your LBS, you may need to print out some evidence so that they believe you, but it could save someone else from a potentially very serious accident, so well worth while.

I think it is a fairly common mistake.
 I just noticed the same thing on the Sherpa advertised here http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13093.0 though it is the older version of the pin.     
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 09:00:52 pm by macspud »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2018, 09:41:43 pm »
Thanks. That picture shows exactly how the pins were.
Yes. I'll call.in for a chat with the LBS.
New cables and wires set me back £80+.
I had supplied the new pads.

Came away with the pins about to fall.out and a loud squealing from the front brake.
" Don't worry, it will bed in soon!"
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2018, 06:51:42 am »
I finally got a pin properly inserted to secure the last brake pad - the other three pins went in pretty easy, but for some reason the fourth pad gave me some fight. What seemed to be the problem - there's a mold seam that runs right through the the middle of the pad, down the long way. At the nose of the pad, the part that gets inserted first into the holder, that seam prevented the nose from running all the way up into the closed end of the holder. It was probably just 0.2 mm or so short of being fully inserted, but that was enough to prevent the pin from being able to fit through that bottom hole. I scraped that mold seam clear up at the nose of the pad and reinserted it... now the pad went in just that little bit more, and the pin could find its way out the bottom hole.

details, details!

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2018, 12:46:08 pm »
Yes yes. I had that same problem. I thought I had mentioned it.

All 4 pads had that ridge. A production problem I guess.

Once removed, problem disappeared.

Good to know for the future or other folks tips.

Nice feeling, new pads. Stops on a sixpence or whatever the equivalent is now!
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2018, 05:42:43 pm »
There wasn't always a clear run through due to a slight burr on the inside of the blue pad. Once smoothed out the pin went right down with its end hooking over.

My pad also had the pin channel rather obstructed from the mold seam. I scraped this clear but it wasn't enough to allow the pin to seat properly. Then I smoothed out the seam up at the nose of the pad so the pad would insert more fully. That was the final step that got the pin fitted. Oh and I tried cleaning out the front of the pad holder, in case there was a little pebble or something stuck in there that was blocking the pad from inserting fully. There might have been some cursing along the way too. But I think it was cleaning up the mold seam that had actual positive effect!

John Saxby

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2018, 03:11:00 am »
There might have been some cursing along the way too. But I think it was cleaning up the mold seam that had actual positive effect!

Don't underestimate the importance of your creative language, Jim.  It's often the intangibles that make the difference ;)