Author Topic: Jones bars  (Read 2184 times)

Inbred

Jones bars
« on: September 02, 2018, 03:09:32 pm »
I was thinking of trying some Jones loop bars on my Thorn Sterling.
Not sure about how well I’d be able to fit the Rohloff shifter on them or how well they’d work.
Has anyone out there tried this?
Photos would be nice 😉
Thanks for the help.

brummie

Re: Jones bars
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 05:27:53 pm »
I have the older Jones Loop bars, but not with a Rohloff ( on another bike ! )  - Rohloff would fit fine - the lastest Loop Bars are wider so no issues with shifter room.

Bill

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 06:11:13 pm »
I had Jones bars on my thorn Raven Nomad. The Rohloff shifter fitted fine. Jones bars work better for a more upright riding position, and it didn't work on my bike. I find Jones bars lack a hand position equivalent to the 'hands on hoods' position, where your wrists are in the vertical plane. I ended up replacing them with Velo Orange Crazy bars.

Having said all that, I have  Jones bars on my Jones bike and they work better there, mainly because of the more upright position.
The geometry is different from the Thorn and the bars are part of the whole package, in a way that they weren't on the Thorn.
I still miss the hand position, and the upright stance is not very aerodynamic in a head wind.

In a nut shell, you shouldn't have a problem with the Rohloff position, but the bars may not fit the geometry of your bike.

Inbred

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 03:22:04 pm »
I don't suppose anyone has any they'd like to sell? 😉