Author Topic: Crank not turning smoothly in EBB.  (Read 9059 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Crank not turning smoothly in EBB.
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2018, 10:48:00 pm »
At present, there's several options I'd try if it were my EBB/OBB (in order of ease/cost):
1) I'd send for the tool to fit the splines on the outside of the cups and tighten them if loose. A torque wrench would be handy here but you can probably get by without.

2) I'd look into replacing the Shimano bearings with the same. They aren't too expensive and you may find they give good enough service for the price. SJS Cycles has them here for only £9.99 including VAT. That's a great bargain, enough to lay in several sets against future wear. You could by a lot of these for what I paid for my Phil unit. I paid about USD$100 but they typically retail for around USD$165. This makes replacement with the Shimano unit from SJS Cycles a real attractive alternative. See:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/bottom-brackets/shimano-deore-outboard-bearing-bottom-bracket-english-thread-bb51b/?geoc=US
Replacement should take you only 30 minutes or less with the required tools ready to hand.

3) Kits are available to put upgraded bearings into the original Shimano cups. These are typically better sealed, have more grease and better/more bearings, but is is a fair job to do and requires some specific tools.

4) Replace with a premium aftermarket set of bearings/cups. I chose Phil Wood because the cups are hard and stiff stainless, the sealing is really good, they're packed with Phil waterproof grease and the bearings are very high quality. These are also expensive, but for me far cheaper than replacing multiple sets of the original cups at the normal retail price.

Hopefully helpful.

All the best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2018, 10:51:04 pm »
Brian,

Our posts crossed. Yes, you've grasped the basics. The only caution compared to an internal/square taper bottom bracket is in this case, the spindle is permanently attached to the right crankarm. It passes clear through both bearings (and the plastic seal in the middle and any spacers required to set chainline) and is secured with the left crankarm, which clamps onto the fee end of the spindle. A toothed plate serves as a lock. Preload (end pressure on the bearings) is set by turning the little plastic star-shaped nut in the left crankarm while the arm clamp bolts are loose. You then tighten the arm bolts to lock in the adjustment and...done.

This may help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6-4JHDTvZg
The part where you need to use caution begins at the 8m45s mark in the video.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 10:54:22 pm by Danneaux »

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2018, 11:15:10 pm »
This insert is used in my BB I believe, Dan.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/bottom-brackets/eccentric-bottom-bracket-insert-fits-raven-mk2-sport-tour-etc-732mm-for-external-bearing-bottom-bracket-gold/
Does this fit inside that Shimano sleeve or do both cups separate from the sleeve and fit directly into the insert?
Brian.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2018, 11:25:43 pm »
Brian,

That gold-colored insert is your eccentric.

As far as your bottom bracket bearings are concerned, your eccentric is just like the threaded bottom bracket hanger in a conventional frame.

You'd leave the eccentric firmly clamped in your frame while you remove and install your bottom bracket cups.

The Shimano bottom bracket (as shown in the SJS Cycles link I gave above) has a plastic sleeve that fits between the separate left and right cups, inside the eccentric. It provides a measure of weather sealing from any water coming down the seatpost or in any open bottle bosses. To install this bottom bracket, you'd insert one half of the plastic sleeve in one cup and install the cup in your eccentric. Then, you'd do the same with the other. The plastic sleeves are...sleeved so one half slides over the other.

So to answer your question directly, the cups are separate and go in each side of your eccentric insert. The protective weather sleeve goes between the cups at time of installation.

Best,

Dan.

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2018, 11:51:41 pm »
Very clear. Thanks Dan. I have ordered the Park Tool tool. Once it is here I will work on this. I will also take your advice about getting in a stock of the Shimano bearings.

Very many thanks. In the meantime I will be cycling on my good old Dawes Mean Street XT which I have ridden from new since 1994. It's still going strong and is a very comfortable ride.
Brian.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2018, 12:19:31 am »
Terrific, Brian and all good wishes and encouragement to you. You'll soon have this sorted!  :)

Best,

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2018, 02:34:59 am »
Well done, guys, and good luck, Brian!

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2018, 05:42:06 am »
Thanks, chaps. I am so grateful. I have always been mechanically challenged. Sod's law applies here always, and in spades!
Brian.