Author Topic: A wee tour of the extended neighbourhood -- South-Central Ontario  (Read 4638 times)

John Saxby

Hi all,

Here's a link to my journal, photos and maps from a weeklong tour in early July in  South-Central Ontario, cycling with a couple of friends from Orillia to the Lake Erie shore and back:

https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/ontario2/

Andre Jute

Re: A wee tour of the extended neighbourhood -- South-Central Ontario
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 11:13:56 am »
2)        Mechanicals:  Nothing to report.  Uneventful is Good.

!!!

Shortly, I changed my mind. What else would you expect from clearly experienced tourers? Nothing to report here; move on.

Lovely tour, John, and never mind the statistical prevalence of urban F150s [not shown]; I'm working on a small aerosol that makes them permanently invisible.

John Saxby

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 02:44:05 pm »
Thank you, Andre -- glad you enjoyed our little safari. 

It was all pretty genteel, none of yer "Ah but a man's reach should exceed his grasp/Or what's a heaven for?" Most of our challenges were little more than inconveniences (heat, hills, no cafés nearby), and demanding rather than damaging.  Still, there were plenty of strenuous hills, and the presence of those wretched F150s was a constant reminder of a cyclist's vulnerability.

Whenever we visit southern Ontario, I'm always reminded how much more northern a landscape I live in.  The biggest difference is the broadleaf forest in southern Ontario, diminished though it is--there are vines and creepers all over the place, for example.  And of course the farms are bigger in every way--although again, the cities, especially Toronto, are gobbling up farmland every day.

Now that I've worked out a couple of technical drills on CycleBlaze, I'll post another "Tour of the extended neighbourhood," a slightly revised version of my Ottawa-Toronto there-and-back from September 2017.

Cheers,  John

PS:  That aerosol could be a cyclist's equivalent of a nighttime graffiti artist's paint can :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 02:45:49 pm by John Saxby »

jags

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 05:52:48 pm »
Hi all,

Here's a link to my journal, photos and maps from a weeklong tour in early July in  South-Central Ontario, cycling with a couple of friends from Orillia to the Lake Erie shore and back:

CLASSSSSS 8) 8) 8)

John Saxby

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 09:52:57 pm »
You're too kind, Anto!   ;)

Mike Ayling

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 11:33:47 pm »
Hi all,

Read it already, John.
A good ride.

Mike (who spends far too much time at Cycleblaze!)

John Saxby

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 02:34:45 am »
Thanks, Mike -- a good place to hang out :)

Oggi

• D-JAC Limited
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 08:16:56 am »
Isn’t cycling a wonderful way to see a country. Sounds like a great ride.