Author Topic: Old Raven Tour V current Raven  (Read 6311 times)

playlord

Old Raven Tour V current Raven
« on: August 25, 2018, 03:08:16 am »
I was wondering what I could do to upgrade my 20-year-old Raven Tour to ride in next April's Loch Ness challenge.  I also have a Thorn Sterling and it crossed my mind that I could sell both bikes and get a new high-spec Raven.

I'm sure more than one of you will have ridden the old and the new Raven; I'd be grateful for your thoughts on the difference. I won't be touring on it and just want something more responsive than the RT (though I love the comfort of that old bike)

Many thanks.
Joe

martinf

Re: Old Raven Tour V current Raven
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 06:27:56 am »
I was wondering what I could do to upgrade my 20-year-old Raven Tour to ride in next April's Loch Ness challenge.  I also have a Thorn Sterling and it crossed my mind that I could sell both bikes and get a new high-spec Raven.

I'm sure more than one of you will have ridden the old and the new Raven; I'd be grateful for your thoughts on the difference. I won't be touring on it and just want something more responsive than the RT (though I love the comfort of that old bike)

I have two heavy-build Raven Tour frames (one for touring, the other set up as a utility bike). And a light-build Raven Sport tour for day rides.

The old Raven Tour frame is slightly heavier and stronger than the new Raven, the main difference I can see is that it is possible to get a significantly lighter and springier fork in Reynolds 853 for the new Raven.

If you currently have heavy-duty touring wheels/tyres and racks on your Raven Tour, you could change to lighter rims/tyres (buy a lightweight front wheel and rebuild the Rohloff on a lighter rim) and remove the racks on your Raven Tour. I reckon this should make nearly as much difference as getting a light build new Raven.

For something more responsive, there is the Mercury. Or maybe try to sell/swap the Sterling (or the Raven Tour) for a used Raven Sport Tour, in my opinion the latter is between the Mercury and the New Raven.

For day rides I find a saddlebag is enough, this is lighter and more aerodynamic than a rack with rear panniers.

playlord

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 07:00:47 pm »
Many thanks, Martin. That's most helpful.  Once I decide what to do I'll post again.

Best wishes
Joe

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 07:59:47 pm »
Joe,

You may also wish to review the build of our member, Lewis Noble (do a search for posts by lewisjnoble using the search string "Sherpa" [no quotes]). He built-up a lightweight Sherpa Mk2 with a much lighter wheelset. Although it is the derailleur version of the new Raven you're considering, the basic configuration of the frame is very similar and a read about it might give you an idea how a lightweight version could ride.

This thread might also be useful to you: http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12617.0

Best,

Dan.

lewis noble

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 08:31:26 pm »
And here he is, lewisjnoble himself!! Currently on Unst in Shetland, main focus of this trip is walking rather than cycling.

My Sherpa is v similar in spec to the lightweight Sherpa in Thorn mega brochure menus, C2 I think. XT cranks and brakes (minimal weight saving there), Tubus Vega rack (useful saving) 853 forks (same), but the biggest factor is the DTSwiss rims, 1.6 Supreme tyres,  light tubes. The wheelsts made a massive difference and transformed the bike. Very lively, still fine for moderate loads, but no front rack on those forks. My newer Thorn Audax is lighter, and a livelier, but the Sherpa is brilliant in fast moving / changing urban traffic and on rural roads.

Good luck. May not be able to contribute much more, very intermittent signal at campsites.

Lewis

playlord

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 10:42:38 pm »
Danneaux and Lewis, many thanks for your very helpful input.  I must say, the more research I do, the more reading through threads, the more often I come across highly positive mentions of the Audax MK3, so much so that I'm now wondering if the sensible thing to do is sell the Sterling and buy an Audax.

I've not ridden anything but Rohloff for about 20 years but I'm told the modern derailleur gears are most reliable and need very little adjustment. (I am comprehensively untechnical, although it's probably time I learned all the ins and outs to expand my skills beyond tyre-changing).

Does SJS offer part-ex? If so, I might ask what they'd give on the Sterling V an Audax with a 105 groupset.

Once again, I'm most grateful for the willingness of forumites to contribute so graciously and eloquently comments and advice.

All the best.
Joe

martinf

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 09:03:02 am »
I must say, the more research I do, the more reading through threads, the more often I come across highly positive mentions of the Audax MK3, so much so that I'm now wondering if the sensible thing to do is sell the Sterling and buy an Audax.

Probably a good option if you don't use the Sterling much.

In addition to my Raven Sport Tour, I stll have my lightweight derailleur bike from 1977. This is now a very light build, with 28 spoke wheels and Schwalbe One 700C x 28 mm tyres, so fairly similar to a light build Audax. I think it is a wee bit faster than my Raven Sport Tour, which weighs slightly more and has Schwalbe Kojak 26" x 35 mm tyres.

I ride the Raven Sport Tour much more often, partly because it is still relatively new, partly because I don't like cleaning the derailleurs and multiple sprockets/chainrings on the older bike.

If I was still in the market for an Audax style derailleur bike, I would look at second-hand, as this style of bike is much more common than Rohloff bikes.

brummie

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 05:53:00 pm »
Did the Raven Tour exist 20 years ago??

lewis noble

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 06:49:01 pm »
I have owned a Raven Tour (great bike but I never did the trips I had dreamed about), a Ripio (derrailieur verdion similar to Sterling / Catalyst I think) - lovely bike, but I became more focussed on road than trail rides) my Sherpa ( still have it) and since Dec 2017 my Sudax. Very different bikes, all great for their intended uses. Oh, also a Discovery tandem, now on permanent 'loan' to friends. All great in their way.

I am happy to write more about them, and my comments re maintaining derrailieurs - when I get home and have a proper keyboard and reliable cheap connectivity. And ability to save doc to avoid losing post!

Home in c 10 days, then off to Mount Doom. Particular ???s let me know.

Lewis

rualexander

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 07:28:45 pm »
Did the Raven Tour exist 20 years ago??

No, pretty sure it didn't.

geocycle

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 07:40:58 pm »
The 2006 raven tour I had was great at what it did best, lugging loads and providing a fantastic armchair ride of a bike over all terrain. It was heavy and I swapped to a raven sport tour after about 5 years.  The RST is a fantastic bike which will do most everything I want. The one area that even the RST falls down for me is fast unloaded day rides on roads.  I could have reduced the weight a bit more but would have compromised load bearing. Because of that I’m getting an audax bike, not a thorn unfortunately but one that will add to the capability of the RST which will still be my day to day high mileage bike. I know I’m going to regret derailleur maintenance but at least I’ll not be commuting on the audax machine. I think the RST and mercury are simlar although the latter has 700c wheels of course and is probably a bit sprightlier in its intended use than the much lamented RST. If I didn’t already have a rohloff bike the Mercury could well have been my choice.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2018, 07:46:39 pm »
I remember _Cycling Plus_ named the Raven Tour "Distance Bike of the Year Gold Award Winner" in their January 2005 edition and the Thorn Raven was overall Bronze Award winner...
http://web.archive.org/web/20060321060442/http://www.sjscycles.com/thornwebsite/thornpdf/CP166BikeOfTheYearAwards.pdf _Cycle_ in 2004 featured the Raven: http://web.archive.org/web/20060321060434/http://www.sjscycles.com/thornwebsite/thornpdf/CP162CycleShowReview.pdf
I'm not sure if they were available before 2004.

Best,

Dan.

geocycle

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2018, 07:57:55 pm »
I remember _Cycling Plus_ named the Raven Tour "Distance Bike of the Year Gold Award Winner" in their January 2005 edition and the Thorn Raven was overall Bronze Award winner...
http://web.archive.org/web/20060321060442/http://www.sjscycles.com/thornwebsite/thornpdf/CP166BikeOfTheYearAwards.pdf _Cycle_ in 2004 featured the Raven: http://web.archive.org/web/20060321060434/http://www.sjscycles.com/thornwebsite/thornpdf/CP162CycleShowReview.pdf
I'm not sure if they were available before 2004.

Best,

Dan.

According to the mega brochure the raven tour and sport tour were introduced in 2003.

playlord

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2018, 08:02:10 pm »
20 years old?

I bought it when I lived in North Wales which somehow I recalled as 20 years ago; on checking the bike invoice I see I was  6 years out -01/09/2004 was the purchase date.  Just shows how quickly the years fly when 20 of my years have passed in just 14!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2018, 08:15:25 pm »
Just shows how quickly the years fly...
For me too! :o And it seems they're going faster and faster...  :-\

All the best,

Dan.