Technical > Transmission

Broken Twistshifter Bracket

(1/3) > >>

High Moors Drifter:
Just started out on a ride this afternoon and noticed the whole twistshifter was moving on the handle bars when changing gear. I stopped expecting to just tighten the screws holding the shifter in place but instead found the bracket had sheared in two. Considering my mileage on the bike is not that high and it’s only ridden on metalled roads I’m quite surprised. Anyone else had this problem? I’m hoping I don’t have to replace the whole shifter which will be an expensive exercise.

Id.

geocycle:
Oh no! Never heard of that happening. Which shifter have you got?

Andre Jute:
Never heard of such a thing before.

It is possible you simply got a rogue piece of metal.

However, the most likely cause is over-tightening, possibly repeated over-tightening.

See about a torque wrench, which measures tension on fasteners, at http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13067.0

Prince of Darkness:
I had the same thing happen. Put it down to over tightening as well. Those brackets are very lightly made and I think care needs to be taken not to over tighten. Still don't have a torque wrench, but I took more care with the new one :)
The bracket can be bought as a separate item, not too expensive.

High Moors Drifter:
Thanks for the responses.

The shifter is the wave design it’s fitted to a Mercury purchased from SJS in June 2015. I’ve not moved or adjusted the shifter hence it’s not been tightened since originally fitted. After this time it’s unlikely to be covered by any guarantee and I’m hoping I don’t have to purchase a complete shifter at £69.99.

I’ve as yet to contact SJS to see if it’s possible to just purchase the pulley enclosure.

Id

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version