Author Topic: Raven tool kit  (Read 8092 times)

Smiffy

Raven tool kit
« on: August 18, 2018, 05:46:14 pm »
Hi Guys I’m new here so treat me like the idiot I am !
Any ideas on what I should carry as a tool kit for my Raven ?
Just for general day to day riding not conquering Africa ?
I have a Leatherman Wave that will take Torx bits and small sockets , anyone use one of these ?
PS . My level of knowledge is low , I have never repaired a puncture !!!!

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Raven tool kit
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 08:07:13 pm »
for sure, fixing a flat is the number one thing. Easiest just to carry a spare tube for day trips. You need "tire irons" and a pump.

tire irons don't seem to have a lot to distinguish them, but these look fun: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/soma-fabrications-steel-core-tyre-lever-per-pair/

this kind of pump is nice: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pumps/zefal-profil-mt01-mini-track-pump/ - I like being able to put the pump on the ground with a bit of hose over the the valve. Valves are delicate and the hose protects the valve from all the flailing about that's pretty much inevitable when pumping.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 08:09:17 pm »
I also carry a small phillips screwdriver so I can tweak the spring tension on my brakes if needed, if something starts to rub. I also carry a small spanner/wrench... is it 4mm? I use it to tweak the fenders in case of any rubbing in that department.

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 08:26:35 pm »
I agree with Jim K on most of what he said.

I do not carry a patch kit for daily rides but I do carry a spare tube or sometimes two.  And a couple tire levers.

I always carry a pump.  I like pumps similar to the kind Jim K suggested, one I like is a Road Morph G, the other is the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive.  Both of the ones I mentioned also are like miniature floor pumps.

On average I get about one flat a year.  The patch kits that use a small tube of glue work much better than the ones that have self adhesive already applied to the patch.  Watch two or three or four youtube videos on how to patch a tube before trying it yourself.

Before you buy a tube, make sure you get the right kind of valve on it, they come with either Shrader valve (like a car tire valve) or a Presta valve (smaller diameter with a small knurled knob on the stem that you unthread first before inflating tire).  You probably should get the same type of valve that is on the tires on your bike.

There are a variety of ways to carry this stuff, a small tube and a few other items can go in a small bag under your saddle, they make bags for that purpose.  Pump usually goes on a bracket on the bike.  On most of my bikes I have a small plastic bottle that holds this stuff, that bottle fits nicely into my water bottle cage under the downtube.  If I recall the Raven can be fitted with a water bottle cage under the downtube.

The reason I am not suggesting any other tools right now is I have no clue if you have much mechanical aptitude or not.  If you do not know how to use them, I am not sure what value they offer if you carry them.

A youtube video would not tell you how to remove a rear wheel that is fitted with a Rohloff, that needs some specific instruction.  I do not have a Raven, my Rohloff is the other kind so I will not elaborate here.

Something that you should learn fairly soon is how to adjust chain tension and also how to recognize when you need to do it.

If you have a leather saddle, you should have a waterproof cover that goes over it too.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 08:29:39 pm by mickeg »

DAntrim

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 08:51:28 am »
I carry 3 plastic tyre levers, 2 inner tubes, a gerber with needle nose pliers for removing glass \ wire, a pump, and 2 pairs of disposable latex gloves as I hate getting oil on my hands, and leave them attached to the bike so they will always be there. As has been mentioned these will all fit in a small saddle bag, which sits under your saddle.

Most pumps designed to be carried on a bike come with an attachment for the bike, I secure this under one of the water bottle holders, again I just leave it attached.

IanW

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 10:08:28 pm »
I carry 3 plastic tyre levers, 2 inner tubes

Whilst *3* tyre levers is ideal (use third lever to extend demounted tyre bead and then move second lever to further extend demounted tyre beat etc.)
*2* levers is usually adequate.

*Plastic* levers are usually adequate but I like to have at least 1 steel tyre lever. A Lezyne Sabre ( https://www.lezyne.com/product-tirerepr-lvrs-saberlvr.php )
is a *good* lever for tight initial tyre bead lifting. And this tyre lever also acts as a wheel-nut and Thorn Raven bottom bracket nut spanner.

And I agree with the choice of a compact floor-standing pump with a short flexible extension tube to attach to the valve to help with strain-relief.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 11:55:47 pm »
That Lezyne Saber looks fabulous! A built-in 15mm spanner! Thanks for that link!!!

Donerol

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 12:42:50 pm »
Never mind the spanner - what about the bottle opener! (hic...)

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 10:23:00 pm »
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/cromo-lezyne-saber-tyre-levers/

Why I decided to download the instructions, I don't know.
But the final line reads...
"Trail weight at shop tool size."

Made in Taiwan so perhaps something lost in translation?
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 10:30:22 pm »
To me, this touts a shop-quality tool (which would usually be produced without much regard to weight) at a take-along weight (where lighter tools are more desirable for touring but may lack a certain robustness).

Best,

Dan.

David Simpson

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 11:26:09 pm »
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/cromo-lezyne-saber-tyre-levers/

Why I decided to download the instructions, I don't know.
But the final line reads...
"Trail weight at shop tool size."

Made in Taiwan so perhaps something lost in translation?

Yes, it is a difficult phrase to parse. The problem is caused by words that can be both nouns and verbs. In that phrase, 4 of the 6 words can be either nouns or verbs: trail, shop, tool, size.

Sometimes I wish the English language was less ambiguous. On the other hand, it does allow for nice puns:
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."

- Dave

John Saxby

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 02:35:34 am »
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."

Nice, Dave :)

With all the ambiguity (intended or otherwise), context is content.

Smiffy

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2018, 03:02:15 pm »
Thank you all for your advice and the links.

It’s beginning to take shape !

I have good practical skills , I teach workshop skills.

I have just never worked on a bike !

Planning a cycle camping holiday to France next year so I am getting my kit together as lightweight as possible and don’t want to take tools I don’t need.

Amazing the things you can do when the kids grow up and leave !!!

mickeg

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 05:07:02 pm »
Do not forget the cork screw.