Author Topic: A new ride  (Read 2968 times)

Matt2matt2002

A new ride
« on: August 17, 2018, 11:29:29 am »
Enjoyed a week in Essaouira, Morroco recently and came across a local guy on a stand-up and walk kinda bike.
I tailed him for a while before he saw my interest and stopped for a chat.
I've seen bigger versions - forget their name at the moment- but this one allowed the rider to just use one side for propulsion, if desired. Usually it was a case of both feet going up and down alternatively. But I watched him use one foot for a while.
He kindly allowed me a go and it was an amazing experience.
Street Stepper was the name on the frame. French I believe although he had picked it up in Germany.

18" wheels I guess.
Hope the pictures attach ok.

Lots more interesting bikes here. Nice to view another country's bikes.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 11:32:56 am by Matt2matt2002 »
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

jags

Re: A new ride
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 12:22:05 pm »
oh lord he could keep it  ::)

John Saxby

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 02:20:29 pm »
Interesting stuff, Matt -- looks like it's based on (inspired by?) the stepping machines in the gym.  Best thing is that you actually go somewhere when you're using it.

I don't have the photo handy right now, but a year or two ago, my niece's daughter was using a pontoon bike on a quiet pond in Germany -- kind of a vertical version of a pedal boat, a paddle wheel on the stern, a rudder activated by the handlebars, with a couple of outrigger pontoons for balance.  Looked like a gimmick as much as anything, but I could imagine a game of water polo played with those could be a bit of a hoot.

Cheers,  John

geocycle

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 02:27:12 pm »
Glad you enjoyed Essaouira.  It is a great little walled town.  It came as a shock to be met at the gates by a guy with a cart and saw all my worldly belongings travelling at great speed through the tiny back streets!  We had a nice week there enjoying the argon oil and spreads as well as the ubiquitous tagines and couscous.