Author Topic: KMC X1, number of links?  (Read 2224 times)

Dave B

KMC X1, number of links?
« on: August 14, 2018, 06:14:47 pm »
I am in a position to purchase a KMC X1 chain cut to the correct length.
Obviously I will need to advise the supplier how many links i require. I have counted 105, including the quick link, on the chain currently fitted to my Nomad ( 17 / 42 ). This i fitted myself. I suspect that I didn't fit this chain at the optimal start point in terms of the eccentric bottom bracket. Is there a guide to chain length / link numbers which I could refer to?  Does anyone happen to know ? Or , is it a case of just applying the rule of thumb method? Thanks

mickeg

Re: KMC X1, number of links?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 07:01:34 pm »
Can't help. The Nomad Mk II comes with different chain stay lengths depending on size of frame.  Even if you had my size frame, I have 44T front and 16T rear, so my number would be meaningless.

If you have an odd number of links including the quick link, that would mean that you have one of those half links, which is rather rare.  Are you sure about your number?  Was a half link added after a while to get more distance out of the chain?

Do you have a multi-tool with a chain tool on it?  If you have not used one before, perhaps there is a you tube video to watch to learn how?  Then you could cut a new chain to your length, and get a few spare links with the left over. 

But a new chain would not have a half link on it.  And you would need a chain tool to install a half link.  If a bike shop is willing to cut your chain for your length for you when you buy it, it likely would not include a half link.

Dave B

Re: KMC X1, number of links?
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 07:54:57 pm »
See your point about frame size (565L) No not sure about 105. Will recount in the morning . Thanks for your response.