Author Topic: Nomad, a few miles on.  (Read 2518 times)

in4

Nomad, a few miles on.
« on: August 14, 2018, 12:15:51 pm »
After a few months riding my new Nomad and having cycled around 1800 kms  I thought I might share a few observations on the forum. There are no revelatory experiences to recall, no Pauline epiphanies, just a few comments and reflections.
1.   The Nomad is a bike of substance, as it needs to be. Mine is a 590L and built for an expedition. I chose the specification with this in mind so it’s not a lightweight bike. For that you need an Audax. I'm 80kgs and 1.78m so can shove it along comfortably. I intentionally ride it with a loaded pair of Super C's so as I get used to the weight and the Nomad's handling. The panniers and the flat bars make getting through some cycle path restricted entry points quite difficult. A bit of left to right jiggling about is essential. Not a deal breaker but worth mentioning.
2.   I am so glad that I chose the frame size I did and opted for an uncut steerer. Whether I am physiological throwback or Chimera I don't know but it’s taken me a while to arrive at my most comfortable riding position. I think I'm there now but I've spent a lot of time fine-tuning my cockpit and my tape measure and I have a very close relationship now. I've had a lot of fun moving spacers, flipping the stem, raising and lowering the seat post and moving the saddle forwards and backwards. Having this degree of flexibility has been a real plus for me. Probably essential in reality. Worth noting if you are in the market for a new bike.
3.   I chose a CSS rear rim and have been very pleased with the braking. I've experienced no squealing, either in wet or dry conditions and save for having to carry different brake blocks for front and rear I'm happy with my choice.
4.   I have a Son28 dynohub and an Edelux 2 headlight. Both work well and the light's beam is great, even when riding at night along unlit paths. I've added a  Cycle2charge USB charger that works well. The only PITA is the piggy back spade connectors necessary to attach it to the Son28. They are expensive for what they are. Anyway, mine are duly covered in heat shrink and seem OK. I can’t help thinking that the whole spade end connector solution is a bit old hat these days but  if it ain't broke...
5.   I'm very pleased with my Rohloff hub and find the twist grip changer quite easy to get along with. Initially I slipped a few gear changes and found myself pedalling fast and going nowhere. As time has passed the cables and gears have bedded in a bit and  changes are both positive and smooth. Yes, a few gears are a tad noisy but that'll diminish the more I ride. It’s very reassuring knowing that all my cogs are shielded from the elements and the prospect of getting twigs etc. caught up in my  cassette are nil. I've not done an oil  change yet but don't envisage that being problematic.
6.   I opted for the Ergon GP5 grips. I had them on my previous Nomad and loved them. I'm a paranoid pianist and very protective of my hands so the GP5s ‘horns’ offer some protection in the event of a collision. I also like the different hand grip positions they offer. I’ve yet to find a mirror I can attach to them and that makes me a wary cyclist at times.
7.   Brooks! I had a lovely Conquest on my previous Nomad that I let go with the bike. Fool that I was. Now I'm wrestling with a new B17 and I'm not sure who's  winning yet. On my last ride I gave the ‘Engine Room’ a rest and put a Selle SMP TRK on the Nomad and I was quite pleasantly surprised at how comfortable it is. This predicament however is not a binary one. I've  been trying out a pair of padded undershorts  from a reputable supplier and I'm inclined to think that they are not helping solve the saddle conundrum. The pad and stitching are in the wrong place for me and, whilst OK for 20 miles or so, after that the image of the Judas  Chair springs easily to mind. It’s back to the padded lycra shorts for me. Hopefully that'll help with the saddle choice. The Brooks does look kinda ‘right’ though.
8.   So,  do I like my new Nomad? Yes, immensely so. It’s a lovely bike to ride and seems to come into it’s own with a bit of weight on it. It's solid, never twitchy and feels very smooth to ride. It’s heavy in comparison to many bikes and you are not going to win too many time trials on it; although down a hill, on the flat and with a fair wind you can crank ‘Bat out of Hell’ up to full volume without being ironic in the slightest. Just make sure you've got your pannier weight evenly distributed. I haven't ridden my Nomad far enough and in tough enough conditions to comment with regard to it’s robustness and capacity to deal with  challenging conditions and surfaces ( I intend to take mine over some Out back, dirt roads, hopefully after the graders have been through) I do feel confident that having the right rims and tyres fitted, my Nomad, Henry by name, will be equal to the ride. I did my first 100 mile ride on Henry yesterday so I'm hopefully up to the challenge too. Photos? They'll be along shortly.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 07:59:56 pm by in4 »

Rockymountain

Re: Nomad, a few miles on.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 12:33:34 pm »
Thanks for posting that. I’m glad you are getting on well with your Nomad. I, too, have a 590L with CSS rims front and rear. I’ve done nearly 10,000 miles on it and there’s no squealing, the Rohloff hub is quiet and smooth in most gears and, most important, the Brooks saddle is now properly broken in. I have a number of road bikes in my possession, both steel and carbon framed, plus a Thorn Raven......but which is my favourite bike that gets the most ride time? The Nomad is. 

Enjoy your bike and good luck with any upcoming tours.

il padrone

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 12:49:37 pm »
Re mirror.

I use a B&M Cyclestar short-stem mirror. Works very well for me.

Oggi

• D-JAC Limited
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 01:23:55 pm »
I have this on my Mercury with GP5 barends. Busch & Muller Cycle Star 80 from SJS.   It fits into the end of the bar replacing the end plug. Originally I went for the same mirror without the extension and it would not adjust enough to see properly. I’m off on the first tour tomorrow, just 4 days and I’ll post some photos when I get back.