Author Topic: Shifting problems  (Read 3116 times)

green79

Shifting problems
« on: August 12, 2018, 07:09:02 am »
I just my Rohloff rebuilt by my local shop into a different rim and while reinstalling the wheel I discovered that the hub won't shift. When I went to reset the external mech into gear 14, the hexagonal bolt doesn't click. I can partly turn it both directions but without the noticeable click I recall when it cycles through the gears. Before I got the wheel rebuilt, the hub was shifting fine

Any advice on what to do next? Any chance my local shop might have done something while doing the rebuild? 

Thanks in advance!

Rockymountain

Re: Shifting problems
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 02:10:52 pm »
How tight is the rear QR skewer? It may not make any difference but it might be worth checking. Can you turn the hexagonal bolt when the wheel is out of the frame?  I over-tightened the one on my Nomad a while back and the hub started clicking.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

green79

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 03:18:49 pm »
Thanks for the thought - it's similar both in and out of the frame.

geocycle

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 09:19:05 am »
The lack of a click could just be that the wheel has been on its side for a while and the hub oil has migrated.  But if you cannot shift at all it sounds like the ex box has not been replaced in the correct orientation.  If you remove the ex box can you get all 14 gears from the hub?

green79

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 09:53:13 pm »
Puzzled through this with my LBS. Turns out when they removed the OEM2 plate, the small cog (labelled D in the manual on p94) fell out and was re-installed upside down. Maybe this helps someone else in the future!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 10:20:55 pm »
Thanks for the followup, Green'! A tip well worth tucking away "for next time".  :)

Very pleased to hear all is sorted for you now.

Best,

Dan.

geocycle

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 09:31:03 am »
Yes, thanks for getting back.  Really pleased you found the problem.