Author Topic: Raven Tour Frame?  (Read 4182 times)

philb0412

Raven Tour Frame?
« on: August 10, 2018, 03:26:13 pm »
Hello.

I am currently living in China. Last year I bought a Tour Raven Tour that was linked on this forum and shipped it to my parents. I think the frame will be a bit too big for me, but will find out on Tuesday when I can finally unbox it and put it together. If that is true then I will be keen on selling the frame or trading it for a Raven that fits me. I will only have 2 weeks before I head back to China (I'll be cycling back to England at some point), so would be looking for a quick sale.

This is what the previous seller said:
'I have a Thorn Raven for sale. I am not sure if it matches the current Thorn frame sizes, but is a 56cm frame. (i am 6ft, 32" inside leg)
26" wheels, Rohloff hub, oil changed every year. SON front dynamo hub with B&M switched front light.
Thorn rear rack with battery rear lights.
Currently set up with 1.5" road tyres, but can run with 2" Conti Race Kings with the same mudguards for extra cushioning.
Deore V brakes, Fizik saddle. Red paint slightly faded with a little pink tinge, as seen on a lot of red cards after a few years. Paintwork in good condition, a few marks as would be expected.
Used as a winter commuter, would also make a bombproof tourer.'

I will measure the frame and check the serial number to confirm the size when I arrive.

If anybody is interested or has a smaller Raven frame available then let me know.

in4

Re: Raven Tour Frame?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 03:50:19 pm »
Look under the bottom bracket for a frame size number. That'll help you or a potential buyer.
You could always change the bars/steerer for fine tuning, if you are not too far out sizewise.
I've  just flipped the stem on my 590L Nomad to improve .my riding position. Worked a treat.

mickeg

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 04:33:30 pm »
Stems come in a variety of lengths and angles.  As long as you can lower the seat enough and have adequate stand over height, you can generally compensate with a different stem. 

If you might later want to use larger tires, make sure you have a bit extra room for stand over height before you make your final decision.  Larger tires would put the top tube higher off the ground.

I am about an inch taller than you, my Thorn Sherpa is size 610S, which is a much taller frame than yours.

My Thorn Nomad Mk II is a size 590M, but the serial number is 585 and not 590, so the serial number might be slightly off.  For my Nomad I chose a slightly smaller frame because I use drop bars and they do not make the Nomad in a "S" size, the S is for short top tube like my Sherpa.

From the photo it looks like you need to buy pedals.

philb0412

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 02:21:11 am »
Thanks for the advise, especially about the wider tyres. I'm going to be riding the Pamir highway on the way back home so I think 2 inches will be my minimum width. That information was from the previous seller. I am 5 foot 10, but have small legs for my height, so standover height might be the problem. I think my last Raven was a 531L and that was a good fit. I'll know more on Tuesday.

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 05:55:26 pm »
Thanks for the advise, especially about the wider tyres. I'm going to be riding the Pamir highway on the way back home so I think 2 inches will be my minimum width. That information was from the previous seller. I am 5 foot 10, but have small legs for my height, so standover height might be the problem. I think my last Raven was a 531L and that was a good fit. I'll know more on Tuesday.

I was going by the 6 foot in the first posting.  That frame size might be a bit big, but you will have to decide.

I have no clue what the maximum tire size would be on that bike.  I have run 2 inch (50 mm) on my Sherpa with fenders but I think I would not have wanted to go larger than that.

martinf

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 07:44:40 pm »
I have no clue what the maximum tire size would be on that bike.  I have run 2 inch (50 mm) on my Sherpa with fenders but I think I would not have wanted to go larger than that.

I'd second that. 50-559/26 x 2.0 Schwalbe Dureme and Supreme work well on my old model Raven Tour frame with the 65 mm mudguards. I think, but am not sure, that the tyre clearance of the Raven Tour frame is slightly more generous than on the current Raven frame.

You could probably get away with something slightly wider on the Raven Tour frame, for example 55-559/26 x 2.15, but I wouldn't want to do this as the reduced gap between mudguard and tyre would have more tendancy to clog when riding on muddy tracks.