Author Topic: Checking internal shift cable  (Read 2231 times)

Donerol

Checking internal shift cable
« on: August 10, 2018, 11:02:04 am »
How do I check the state of this cable, i.e. whether I should think about replacing it? My Raven Tour was second-hand and I don't know how much mileage it did before my own c.4,000 miles. The hub's serial number dates it to 2003 though the actual bike may not be as old as that, and I don't do the huge mileages that some of the rest of you do.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 11:06:26 am by Donerol »

geocycle

Re: Checking internal shift cable
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 11:19:14 am »
Best way is to remove the axel plate and check for any broken strands. Be careful as you don’t want the pulley or wire to spring off if you are not going to replace. Obviously if there are no broken strands you can choose to leave well alone. In one of Thorns brochures Andy Blance suggests replacing it as a precaution every 18k miles (?) or so. If you are riding locally you might accept the risk but probably not if you are heading for a long tour. Both time my cables frayed I could still change gear but rather stiffly.

Threading a new wire in the pulley from scratch is a bit fiddly, so consider one of the kits from SJS. The full kit which you just slot in seems v expensive but is easy to fit, the version where you just get the pulley with cable, concertina covers and bayonet connectors is better value in my opinion.

Donerol

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 09:38:40 pm »
Thanks - I haven't had time yet but I'll check it the way you suggest.  My impression is that the shifting is getting stiffer, though maybe I'm just losing my grip!

gearoidmuar

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 07:37:27 am »
My bike has done something like 27000 miles with no change. It amazes me. It's on a Thorn Raven tour. I carry spares on tours but so far...