Author Topic: Rohloff shift cables for a folding bike?  (Read 3868 times)

CanAmSteve

Rohloff shift cables for a folding bike?
« on: August 04, 2018, 10:24:48 am »
I am having a touring frame built that will have S&S couplers on the top tube and down tube. For travel, this means the frame can split and makes a smaller package. But I wonder what to do about folding the Rohloff shift cables? Have others had this issue to deal with? I have searched previous forum entries without success.

I see my options as removing the shift box and cables from the rear of the frame (cables are all external and its simple enough to carry small zip ties to refit) but I know the mounting bolts are rather soft and wear quickly - perhaps spare mounting bolts as well?

Another option is to try and carefully bend the cables without removal, although I think this will be problematic.

I could mount the shifter itself on a "stub" (as I have done with another bike) so that it can be removed easily (essentially the opposite of removing the gearbox). TBut this precludes using a GB shifter and some of the other mounting options (this will be a drop bar bike).

I could try some of the "alligator" style outer housing (either the full length or at the bend) which is more flexible - but which might just kink the inner liner.

I can hope Rohloff brings eBike-style electric shifting to the rest of us ASAP?
Ride your own ride

mickeg

Re: Rohloff shift cables for a folding bike?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 02:11:49 pm »
The Thorn Nomad can be ordered with S&S couplers, mine is one of those.  There are two types of Rohloff cable types, the external type (EX box) or the internal cable type.  The Nomad uses the EX box and the shift cables use outer housing for the full length. 

With the EX box, the cables and EX box stay with the front half of the frame when you split the couplers.

The cables run under the bottom bracket and then under the left side chainstay.  There are some cable holders on the left side chainstay that allow the cables to be hook into the holder or unhooked without tools.

In the first photo those hooks under the left chainstay are visible below the word Thorn, the photo was not taken with showing those hooks in mind so the photo is not that great for your purposes.  But I think you get the idea.  I have no idea if the way those cables are hooked in is patented or not.

Second photo, the cables and EX box stay with the front frame member, as does the handlebar because of my rear brake cable.  This bike uses full length outer housing for the rear V brake too, I disconnected the cable from the rear brake.  I have changed my Rohloff shifter placement after this photo was taken, so disregard the shifter part of this photo.

I can think of other options if you do not use full length outer housing, either that use cable splitters or cable stops on the frame.  But I am sure your frame builder could think up anything that I could dream up.

Third photo is of my Raleigh Grand Prix, that bike uses the Ritchey Break Away system (competitor to S&S couplers), although the bike does not use a Rohloff you can see in the photo that there are cable splitters on the gear cables under the downtube near the coupler.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 02:13:48 pm by mickeg »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 05:02:43 pm »
I posted some photos of my bike getting put back together: http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3035.msg16606#msg16606. Maybe those will help fill in some details.

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 10:39:54 pm »
I posted some photos of my bike getting put back together: http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3035.msg16606#msg16606. Maybe those will help fill in some details.

Nice sequence of photos, I had not seen those before.  I built up my Nomad in 2013, well after you posted that.

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 11:07:15 pm »
I have mentioned this before, so just repeating myself here.

I like to keep as much dirt and crud out of my S&S threads as possible.  I used to put electrical tape around the ends of the S&S "nuts" to keep dirt and crud out of them.  I have switched to using a short piece of inner tube that I cut so that they are like wide rubber bands. First photo is when I used electrical tape, second photo is the inner tube rubber.

Mike Ayling

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 05:00:19 am »
The Thorn Nomad can be ordered with S&S couplers, mine is one of those.  There are two types of Rohloff cable types, the external type (EX box) or the internal cable type.  The Nomad uses the EX box and the shift cables use outer housing for the full length. 

With the EX box, the cables and EX box stay with the front half of the frame when you split the couplers.

The cables run under the bottom bracket and then under the left side chainstay.  There are some cable holders on the left side chainstay that allow the cables to be hook into the holder or unhooked without tools.

In the first photo those hooks under the left chainstay are visible below the word Thorn, the photo was not taken with showing those hooks in mind so the photo is not that great for your purposes.  But I think you get the idea.  I have no idea if the way those cables are hooked in is patented or not.

Second photo, the cables and EX box stay with the front frame member, as does the handlebar because of my rear brake cable.  This bike uses full length outer housing for the rear V brake too, I disconnected the cable from the rear brake.  I have changed my Rohloff shifter placement after this photo was taken, so disregard the shifter part of this photo.

I can think of other options if you do not use full length outer housing, either that use cable splitters or cable stops on the frame.  But I am sure your frame builder could think up anything that I could dream up.

Third photo is of my Raleigh Grand Prix, that bike uses the Ritchey Break Away system (competitor to S&S couplers), although the bike does not use a Rohloff you can see in the photo that there are cable splitters on the gear cables under the downtube near the coupler.

What Mick wrote.

Our Thorn tandem uses the same system and it is easy enough to roll up the cables with the ex box and attach to the front half of the bike. I use an old toe clip strap to secure it.
The rear brake cable un couples with a screw thread connector and then we have two halves of our tandem.

Mike

CanAmSteve

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 02:57:22 pm »
Many thanks for the helpful information and tips. I agree removing the shift box and coiling cables with the front frame half seems the best solution. If I go with a mechanical rear disc brake then I can use a cable splitter on that run. The tip on using tube sections to reduce grit in the couplers is also heandy. Thanks again
Ride your own ride