Author Topic: thumb shifters  (Read 6294 times)

pinkbunnyok96

thumb shifters
« on: August 02, 2018, 12:58:58 pm »
anyone had experiance with thumb shifters with the rohloff
rohloff seem to missing out on a money macking opetunity here

geocycle

Re: thumb shifters
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 02:38:15 pm »
I'm not sure how they would be an improvement?  As the shifting takes place in the hub not at the shifter the grip shifters are fine IME.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 03:31:08 pm »
anyone had experiance with thumb shifters with the rohloff
Yes, I have. See: http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=10585.msg76265#msg76265

The Forum archives are a rich resource of information. :)

Best,

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 02:27:28 am »
I use drop bars, thumb shifters are low on my priority list.

pinkbunnyok96

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 10:23:53 am »
the grip shift on the rohloff is the worst part of the kit. I use an allfine Monday dinner to Friday dinner rohloff the weekend I have toured cornwall wales Scotland north York moors on rohloff and kent on the allfine I know for me grip shift is rubbish hand slips in wet its like holding chewing gum in hot weather and gear changing is not as good as it could be. rohloff must agree because on there "e" bike's they do electronic. it seems they spent all there money £50000000 on the hub but £2.05 on the grip
and if I want trigershifts so do 2 million other people so just think of the profit there! other people have (rohbox) 

energyman

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 09:33:23 pm »
One of my Rohloff shifters is roughly triangular in shape and however sweaty or wet my hand gets it always has a positive gear change.
The other one is round but this has never been a problem possibly as I always wear gloves or mitts.

ridgeback63

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 03:58:03 pm »
No problem with the gripshift for me,simple and it works well IMHO.

energyman

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 07:03:53 pm »
I see ROSE.de is selling an electronic change Rohloff on an E-Bike on its UK language website !
Looks interesting (as does the price !)

pinkbunnyok96

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 02:26:18 pm »
no matter what you think of shimano hub gears at least you get a choice between grip shift trigger shift or electronic having  just come back from a wet ride in devon cornwall I have decided. till I convert the rohloff to triggers or hydrolic it will not get used I might even go for derailers full xt seems about £500. I have started to hate the twist grip

Prince of Darkness

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 03:59:41 pm »
Have had no problems whatsoever with my gear shifts. All year use, no matter what the weather. Only issue I had was getting used to the direction for shifts, which is the opposite to Shimano grip shifts.

High Moors Drifter

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 07:19:40 pm »
At first I thought I wouldn’t like the twistshifter but in 3 years I’ve never had a problem with my hand slipping and the big advantage is how it’s possible to quickly change down 3 or 4 gears in one movement.

Id

John Saxby

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 09:01:34 pm »
There are different models of the gripshift -- I have the most recent "Wave" variant.  Never had any problems with my hand slipping on it, no matter the weather.  (I wear gloves all the time, so that may help.)

What I have done, to ease any strain on thumb and wrist, is to cant the Thorn accessory bar (on which my shifter is mounted) backwards about 25 - 30° from the "east-west" position across the axis of the bike.  That lets me grasp the shifter more or less end-on, so that the fleshy part of my thumb is on the back/outer part, and my fingers cover the numbers and the bracket holding the shifter.  That makes it more comfortable to use, and (I find), easier to grip.

But y'know, if you just don't like the rotary item, then there are thumbies out there.

il padrone

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2018, 02:16:17 pm »
E14 is another option if the grip-shifter doesn't work for you. New from Rohloff.

https://cyclingindustry.news/rohloff-introduces-electronic-shift-system-with-widest-transmission-ratio-available/