Author Topic: Pedals for touring long distance  (Read 4617 times)

jul

Pedals for touring long distance
« on: July 16, 2018, 02:46:30 pm »
Hi,

My pedals are Shimano MX80 Saint, i'm not satisfied, they damaged my shoes soles and sometimes my shoes slips even if i've removed the picot washers.

So i'm planning to change my pedals and why not to order the straps with it .. which pedals do you advise me ? thanks

RobertL

Re: Pedals for touring long distance
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 04:27:53 pm »
Have been using Shimano Saints for six years - I find them good for sturdy all round shoes with rubber soles, and comfortable as you can move your foot around a bit on the pedal. Just wanted to post a balancing opinion from a long term user - my riding style is steady, 15-16 mph on the flat.

in4

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 08:20:06 pm »
I've got Saints on my Nomad and so far, after a few hundred miles, they seem fine.
Previously, I used a pair of DMR V8s on my old Nomad and was very pleased with them in terms of comfort and grip. An additional bonus was that they had a grease port and  you could, well, pull them apart and change the bearings if necessary; I don't think you can do that on the DMR V12s.

As an addendum I'm still busy searching for a pair of 'flats' that will be good for touring in. I like the sticky rubber of the 5-10 range ( Adidas now own them I believe) but would prefer something with a smaller 'footprint', a stiff sole, goretex and not too heavy. yes, I know, fussy so and so!

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 09:20:56 pm »
MKS Lambda wide platform for me and my Raven.
Used them for 4 years and on all my tours.
Never let me down.
£39.99 from SJS
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 09:22:16 am »
I have completed two 3 month tours and found the Shimano M324 pedals to be excellent. They are flat on one side and clipless on the other which makes them a very versatile pedal.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pedals-cleats/shimano-pdm324-spd-pedals/

During the second long tour I decided to go back to using different footwear (Keen sandals) as I found I used the clipless set up less and less. The problem is that in wet weather the sandals tended to slip sometimes. I also found the Shimano M324 pedals a little narrow with the wider Keen sandals.

I think Keen sandals are the ideal footwear for for long distance touring. They have a good solid grippy sole, great to walk in, and adaptable in all weather by using either no socks, a thin sock, thick sock or waterproof socks and shoe covers.

On return I looked for a new wider well built pedal. Like Matt I opted for a MKS pedal but a different model - the MKS Sylvan Prime Touring.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pedals-cleats/mks-prime-sylvan-touring-pedals/

They are well made and have smoother larger bearings than the Shimano M324. They are also field serviceable so you can easily re-lube or replace the bearings on very long tours if required.

After a bit of internetting I decided on the Powergrip pedal straps.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/toe-clips-straps/power-grips-trapfree-cycle-toe-straps-black/

I'm now very happy with the MKS Prime Sylvan pedals and Powergrips setup.  :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 09:29:05 am by StuntPilot »

lewis noble

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 11:21:20 am »
I am keen on MKS pedals, used them with no problems or faults. My Sherpa has the Tourung Sylvan pedals as above, Audax has the Road Sylvan, both excellent.

Normal toe clips / straps fitted, I use Merrell shoes with very firm sole. Keen sandals sound a good idea.

Lewis

jul

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 04:21:38 pm »
I ordered a paar of "MKS BM 7", i hope i did the right choice ..

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=BM%2D7+Pedals&vendorCode=MKS&major=5&minor=2

Do you think that a good idea to use toe clips ?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 04:24:10 pm by julio »

martinf

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 05:11:21 pm »
I ordered a paar of "MKS BM 7", i hope i did the right choice ..

They look reasonably similar to the MKS Sylvan I currently have on my Raven Tour, good quality, user serviceable pedals that are also reasonably inexpensive.

Do you think that a good idea to use toe clips ?

I prefer toeclips, don't get on well with clipless. Your BM7 pedals are designed for use with or without toeclips. So you can try them and see if you like them.

I have double sided pedals similar to the BM7 on the old bike I used for survey work. I removed the toeclips when I knew I would be wearing rubber boots or heavy walking boots (mainly in winter).