Author Topic: Route planning apps for Android?  (Read 5083 times)

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
Route planning apps for Android?
« on: August 01, 2018, 05:53:49 am »
I am trying out Komoot at the moment but wondered what others might be using to plan and guide your rides? Other suggestions welcomed.
Brian.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Route planning apps for Android?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 06:11:30 am »
I like Ride With GPS: http://ridewithgps.com

Best,

Dan.

DAntrim

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 10:08:17 am »
I use GB Mapometer https://gb.mapometer.com/ - allows me to export the GPX file to load onto the GPS and android devices

Carlos

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 11:16:28 am »
I like Ride With GPS: http://ridewithgps.com

Best,

Dan.

Dan, thank you. That is one sophisticated, if expensive, resource! Looking into it now. Did you upgrade or do you use the free version? I like to have turn-by turn instructions.
Brian.

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 11:17:38 am »
I use GB Mapometer https://gb.mapometer.com/ - allows me to export the GPX file to load onto the GPS and android devices

Carlos

Thanks Carlos. I can't connect to that site at the moment. I will try later in case the server is down.
Brian.

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 01:05:46 pm »

Carlos

Thanks Carlos. I can't connect to that site at the moment. I will try later in case the server is down.

Are you seeing the site, Carlos? I still can't get it and I've tried on two different browsers.
Brian.

DAntrim

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 02:15:21 pm »
Not at the moment - site must be down

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 03:27:31 pm »
That is one sophisticated, if expensive, resource!
Agreed!
Did you upgrade or do you use the free version?
I tend to be thrifty and careful with money, so I gravitate toward free things. So far, the free version suits me fine so I have never paid. I use it in a way similar to how I use Garmin BaseCamp, but with the added benefit of being able to export .kml files to see the route overlaid on satellite photos in GoogleEarth on my PC laptop for planning purposes.

It may help to keep in mind I use Garmin Oregon 400T and 600T GPS units on my bikes. They're more hiking oriented than bike-specific and have so far proven more suitable for me in the back-of-beyond riding I often do. Mine are mostly loaded with a variety OpenStreetMaps overlaying the native Garmin Topo maps. These units lack social media/Strava connectivity and voice/speaker capability, so any turn-by-turn instructions when routing are on-screen rather than audible for me.

Best,

Dan.

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 04:59:50 pm »
@Dan Thanks for the additional info. I was running Ridewithgps (free) at the same time as Strava (free) this morning. I haven't a handlebar mount fitted yet so the phone was in my back pocket. Looking at them both during my rest stops I liked the RWGps interface more than Strava. The free RWGps website appears more versatile than the free Strava. I was able to easily import my previous data from Strava into RWGps. I'll continue the comparison over the next few days.
Brian.

Thomas777

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 11:08:24 pm »
A new one we have started playing with is Cycle Travel. It is from the UK. It is promoted as using Les traveled roads. We have done a few comparisons along side Ride With GPS and we are liking it alot!!

Mike Ayling

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 11:46:20 pm »

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2018, 05:59:47 am »
A new one we have started playing with is Cycle Travel. It is from the UK. It is promoted as using Les traveled roads. We have done a few comparisons along side Ride With GPS and we are liking it alot!!

I'll take a look. Thank you.
Brian.

geocycle

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 11:27:01 am »

Cycle.travel is fantastic on the computer although I’ve not used it on my phone. I use it all the time for riding in the UK and Europe. It is run by Richard Fairhurst an organist from Leeds who posts on the CTC forum. He’s done a fabulous job. I download gpx routes created on cycle.travel to my devices.