Author Topic: Posts and threads suddenly "currently unable to handle this request"??  (Read 2903 times)

il padrone

Why are some posts and even whole threads coming up with the error message "thorncyclesforum.co.uk is currently unable to handle this request" suddenly? I have been looking back at follow up posts and cannot access threads that I have posted to. One was mildly critical of the Thorn warranty policy on kickstands. Are we applying some sort of shop-editorial here, or is there some other glitch at work?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 01:44:11 pm by il padrone »

julk

I just tried to read my 'recent unread posts’ - 2 of 9 of them never responded, no error message and no content.
One of them was the kickstand thread.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Are we applying some sort of shop-editorial here, or is there some other glitch at work?
No attempts here on my part or that I'm aware of to "sanitize" posts in retrospect.

Thorn have been good about addressing criticism or problems online here, the only niggle being they don't always have the time to monitor each post as I do and therefore might miss something. For this reason with any urgent problems or requests, it is always best to contact Thorn directly through their sister company, SJS Cycles. I appreciate the heads-up whenever a glitch comes to light. I'll sure look into it.

I do know some of my own past posts no longer appear in the Search content, mostly ones relating to my past-owned Sherpa Mk2, so that dates them to pre-2012. However, if I access them through links I've saved, they come right up so they're still there...the problem seems to be in the search function not finding things as it should.

In a similar but different issue, there was a change of domain name when the Forum software was upgraded to v.2. This change broke the internal links embedded in some posts. You can pull them up again and restore them to working order by substituting thorncycles.co.uk for http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk in the URL. In my downtime (what's that?) I have been going through and updating such links so they work again, but as you can imagine, it is a bit like needles and haystacks and there's a lot of haystacks.
...some posts and even whole threads coming up with the error message "thorncyclesforum.co.uk is currently unable to handle this request" suddenly...
I've received this message myself from time to time over the last 8 months or so. My request is usually executed if I try again later. My guess is the server directory in question might be in use for another operation at the time the message is triggered.

Please let me know of any other such "oddities" going forward.

All the best,

Dan.

Thorn Cycling Forums Administrator

il padrone

These posts were made today and yesterday. Repeated attempts to view the posts over several hours have resulted in the same error message.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Repeated attempts to view the posts over several hours have resulted in the same error message.
Noted. Please, can you PM me the links you're trying to view?

Best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Uh-oh. I just tried to pull up the topic on Thorn's Kickstand Policy and got this...
[see attached, below]
...so you're not alone.

Best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
This points toward a hosting error. I'll look at the error logs and will see what they say. It is possible the server is undergoing maintenance at the moment. Thanks for PM'ing me the problematic posts, Pete.

Best,

Dan.

il padrone

Added info - I cannot see these posts when logged-in, but if I log out I can see them fine. Seems to be only the two threads where I made comment. Also I had attempted (unsuccessfully) to upload photos. They were probably too large.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Thanks, Pete...this is helpful and I found the same. Hoping this will be resolved by early next week.

Best,

Dan.