Author Topic: Calling all N'Lock users  (Read 2867 times)

lestat_12345

Calling all N'Lock users
« on: July 18, 2018, 07:25:05 am »
Hi All,

I have had my N'Lock for around 2 years now and love it. There has always been a little side to side play in the device which is normal. However, recently I have noticed a very slight up and down movement when pulling on the handlebars - nothing major but a little disconcerting. Is this normal? Does your device do the same? You can test this with your unit by just pulling up on the stem. If the play is there you will feel it. Everything is seated correctly and the headset is installed properly. To be honest I can't say that this play hasn't always been there, I may just not have noticed it before.

Thanks,

Richard.

jags

Re: Calling all N'Lock users
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 07:52:09 pm »
worst invention ever BIN IT.

anto

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 09:56:37 pm »
My n'lock is very likely the oldest on the forum. It has the slight sideways play that everyone has; harmless, and you soon stop noticing it. It doesn't have the up and down motion you find, Richard.

My first thought was that some part of your headset has more than the essential play in it. The headset is normally set up by tightening it so you can just feel a slight resistance when you turn the handlebars and then backing off the nut a little. You can check whether the headset is torqued up properly by holding the front wheel firmly between your knees, pulling the brake hard on, pushing down hard on the handlebars and pulling forward (towards you if you have the wheel between your knees). If you feel a rocking motion or hear a knock, the headset needs tightening.

The other thing that might give a little vertical movement tangible through the handlebars is a loose front axle, held in tight enough for less than strenuous operation by the lawyer's lips, so you could check the axle nuts for the right torque. Doesn't seem all that likely to me, unless the front end took a knock somewhere, but it is possible.

If the unexplained motion you feel becomes worse, you need to stop riding the bike until you isolate and fix the cause.

Don't forget to report back when you've fixed the problem.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 01:59:36 pm by Andre Jute »

lestat_12345

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 11:00:42 pm »
Hi Andre,

Thanks for the respone. The headset is setup and tightened correctly. This was actually the first thing I checked when I noticed the issue. I didn't think about the axle but everything is okay there as well. I don't get the impression that the N'lock is about to come apart and I've been cycling with this issue for about a fortnight without any problems. I live in a flat and need to turn my handlebars for storage which is the main reason for the N'lock purchase. I've been toying with the idea of getting the humpert fhs
 2 folding handlebars as a replacement so I may just go ahead and get them.

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 02:05:34 pm »
Interesting alternative. I have quite a bit of Humpert gear, and it is all very well made and reliable, though not for weight weenies.

I use my n'lock to make the bike unrideable and thus in my low-crime area safe outside shops where there is nowhere to wrap the handlebar cable around, and would hate to lose it.

lestat_12345

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 05:21:13 pm »