Author Topic: Is this the future?  (Read 3601 times)

High Moors Drifter

Is this the future?
« on: July 11, 2018, 09:54:33 am »
Is this the future?

Id.

https://youtu.be/-9gQ1KRhesM

Rockymountain

Re: Is this the future?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 03:35:22 pm »
No.......Rohloff is the future :-)

geocycle

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 04:12:34 pm »
Handy if you forget your vegetable peeler on tour! Still interesting idea if it works.

energyman

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 04:21:24 pm »
Time will tell ...............................................

jags

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 05:59:52 pm »
Genius.
But Ebikes are the future that's for certain.

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 09:05:32 pm »
I do not think it is the future.  Maybe a few will dabble with it, but the lowest gears would be really close to each other, the higher gears would have bigger jumps between the gears.  That is not an ideal scenario.

I think roadies can get by with a smaller range, my road bike 328 percent, my Rohloff 526%, my two derailleur touring bikes (one of which is the Sherpa) is 558 percent.

I could see it working for a road bike, but suspect that the range of gearing will be too tight for touring.  Might work for rando or audax riding.

For touring, I like to have a lot of gears in the range of about 50 to 90 gear inches, that is the range that I am using the vast majority of time so I like quite a few well spaced gears.  But I am not on the steep uphills that much, so I do not mind having a small number of really lower gears as long as I have at least one that is always low enough.

But that gearing system I think will have lots of low gears but not many up in the range where I am spending most of my time.

If they reversed the system so that the gearing was on the crank instead of on the wheel, then I think you would have a small number of the really low gears but more of the higher gears, which I think would make more sense.  But to do that I could see rapid wear of the cog on the rear wheel.

martinf

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 07:08:59 am »
It has some of the disadvantages of derailleur systems, in that the "chainring", "rear sprocket" and the bevel drives of the shaft are exposed to water and dirt. So not very useful for my type of riding.

If combined with a hub gear, it should be possible to fully enclose the shaft and bevel drives, and simplify the design of the shaft (no need for a shifting mechanism). This could be the basis of an efficient shaft drive that might be a viable alternative to chain and belt drives.