Author Topic: Noisy Rohloff  (Read 4050 times)

JanieB

Noisy Rohloff
« on: July 16, 2018, 10:18:59 am »
I am sure that this question has been asked before but here goes.

We have recently received our Thorn Nomads and they are super comfy, loving them. However, both of them are really noisy in gears 7-5, which makes me think it is normal and it was mentioned when we ordered the bikes.

However, I need to make sure and ask if this noise gets better once the hubs are run in or should we be worried?
What next?

Oggi

• D-JAC Limited
Re: Noisy Rohloff
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 10:43:06 am »
Hi Janie
I have a new Mercury and the rohloff is noisy in gears 7-5. The guys at SJS told me to expect this at least until the first service. At the moment I find it useful as I know when I drop into the lower gears without having to look at the selector. Do you find gear 8-7 happens with a distinct “clunk” if you get the timing just slightly wrong.
Doug

JanieB

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 11:21:16 am »
I think it might have happened to me once or twice.

First time using a RH so I still find myself making mistakes when changing gears, therefore, I am not always sure if it is the equipment or the rider.
What next?

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 05:09:02 pm »
There are three planetary gear systems in the Rohloff.  Gears 8 through 14 are the gears where you are most of the time and those gears use two of the planetary gears, the third planetary gear is unused.  Gear 11 is direct drive, gears 12 through 14 are a form of overdrive.  When using gears 8 through 14 the hub is quite quiet. 

But gears 1 through 7 are like using gears 8 through 14, but with a low range, not unlike using a low range on a four wheel drive truck transfer case.  The hub uses that third planetary gear as a low range and that makes it much more noisy.

I noticed after my first oil change that the hub was quieter and I thought it was a bit smoother.  But gear 7 will always be noisy.  You get used to it.

geocycle

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 05:12:27 pm »

We have recently received our Thorn Nomads and they are super comfy, loving them. However, both of them are really noisy in gears 7-5, which makes me think it is normal and it was mentioned when we ordered the bikes.

However, I need to make sure and ask if this noise gets better once the hubs are run in or should we be worried?

Perfectly normal.  After 35,000 miles mine is nearly run-in  ;) although gear 7 still stands out it is no longer very audible above road noise.  I can just about hear gear 6 whereas all the rest are silent (more so than a derailleur system). The first oil change does make a difference as you suggest.

JanieB

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 09:08:39 pm »

Perfectly normal.  After 35,000 miles mine is nearly run-in  ;) although gear 7 still stands out it is no longer very audible above road noise.  I can just about hear gear 6 whereas all the rest are silent (more so than a derailleur system). The first oil change does make a difference as you suggest.

Thank you for the reassurance.
What next?

JanieB

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 09:10:11 pm »
There are three planetary gear systems in the Rohloff.  Gears 8 through 14 are the gears where you are most of the time and those gears use two of the planetary gears, the third planetary gear is unused.  Gear 11 is direct drive, gears 12 through 14 are a form of overdrive.  When using gears 8 through 14 the hub is quite quiet. 

But gears 1 through 7 are like using gears 8 through 14, but with a low range, not unlike using a low range on a four wheel drive truck transfer case.  The hub uses that third planetary gear as a low range and that makes it much more noisy.

I noticed after my first oil change that the hub was quieter and I thought it was a bit smoother.  But gear 7 will always be noisy.  You get used to it.

Great explanation, thank you for taking the time.
What next?