Author Topic: Don't buy an eBike  (Read 25212 times)

jags

Re: Don't buy an eBike
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2018, 02:38:53 pm »
i reckon i would be using it every day instead of the car theres a lot of hills in my town an ebike conversion would make things  great for me ;)

Andre Jute

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2018, 10:16:23 pm »
Today's ride , very cold and wet.  Distance  25km duration 01.18m  energy 1031 Kcal.
 Average speed 19.7 km/h  Elevation gain 407.8m

No way I would gone out today  on the Thorn given the weather.

For sure, an e-bike keeps you cycling longer.

jags

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2018, 10:41:29 pm »
that's a fact. ;D

leftpoole

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2021, 09:38:53 am »
It is 18 miles from my house to work, and roughly the same distance to my partner's house.  Shetland is a windy place, I am old, overweight, unfit and asthmatic, the eXp is heavy and I am usually carrying at least 12kg of stuff.  This leads to a journey time of about 2 hours and 15 minutes, plus or minus 15 minutes depending on wind speed and direction.  One night the wind was so bad that it was difficult to go fast enough to be able to maintain my balance.  When I finally arrive I usually feel like a wrung out rag.  The solution had to be an eBike for trips into work (only on the finest days) and the eXp would be used for local rides to the shop (6 miles away) or the local ferry terminal (4 miles away) where there is wifi available.

I was amazed with the AARC Moulton TSR8 as it would cut my 18 mile trip down to as low as 1 hour 10 minutes, and I didn't feel like I needed a few hours to recover.  Gradually though I found that I was barely using the eXp and the Moulton was becoming the bike for all journeys.  I recently rode the eXp to the ferry terminal and found it quite hard going without the assistance.  I had the wind behind me as well.  Riding it back into what was a light wind for Shetland, somewhere between 12-18mph, I found it even harder, having to stop for a couple of minutes to get my breath back.

eBikes are wonderful things, really slashing journey times, but there will be hell to pay if you don't mix this with normal unassisted cycling.  Eventually you realise that although you have been giving your eBike assistance (it's a pedelec) to move along, I suspect the effort is probably around 25-30% of what you would be using on an unassisted bike.

So my advice to you is put off eBikes until you are really struggling to ride a normal bike.  Fitness is hard to build, but oh so easy to lose.

Old post resurrected!
I am in full agreement that E bikes should be used ONLY for those who CANNOT ride a normal cycle.
Personally as a long time health sufferer I will never use an E bike. I would rather do without or use a proper combustion engine moped!
Regards to those who do use E bikes.
John

As an update to my all time abhorrence of so called 'E bikes' and my preference for a real moped.
To update. The time has arrived when cycling ,although to be kept up because I do actually love riding and of course have N+ bicycles,  when I really could benefit from help. Help either from a medical/physical point of view or something else.
The medical assistance has been taken to what is now the limit. Physically I am pretty fit but very much hampered by bodily disabilities.
So, this is my time to prove that I was not just waffling, indeed it is now done!
This coming Saturday a delivery will arrive from Colchester . It is already insured and also paid for. No going back now.
A real moped.
BMW R850R motorcycle.
I will resist posting a photograph unless I get enough response to this posting asking for one. I know it is not Thorn and indeed not a bicycle (along with 'E bikes') but I just had to make known my reduction in cycling. No doubt this bike will get used regularly and probably for Camping trips. So much easier but just as enjoyable and easier to carry a load. I am very glad that I was living through the internal combustion era but do agree that this type of engine should be phased out.
Cycling is still and will always be my passion. But cycling myself will reduce or at least stay as it is now which is regular but limited. Tour de France starts Saturday.....
Best to all and sorry for popping this thread back up again!
John

Aleman

« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2021, 10:24:28 am »
Lovely bike John, Rode an R1000RS across Europe in the 80's absolutely loved it ... Would probably go for a Pan European or a Triumph Triple nowadays

tyreon

« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2021, 02:17:58 pm »
There are many views on e bikes. Here's mine: some peddlin is better than no peddlin. Its getting the blood circulating and getting the heart pumping. It makes you feel better. Motorcycling just isnt the same. I havent the licence to motorcycle,and can see its pleasures...but it isnt bicycling,if cycling is assisted...Still,both have pleasures and give opportunities to travel roads undiscovered...and feel better than travel by car.

It's good to hear Leftpoole still camps. I'm not sure if I have it in me theseadays. To have strong legs and a distant horizon was heaven.

I feel it more of an adventure to ride a Honda cub or somesuch,Leftpoole. I looked up what you mention is yours and feel you would have to do 60 miles before you break into the thrill that comes with bicycling. Still,getting out at all is a freedom.

Best wishes to you. I guess you still cycle some miles. Anything is better than nothing. Its what I say to myself.

Take care

energyman

« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2021, 02:42:41 pm »
The  joy of a ride on my RST is matched by the joy of a ride on my ebike (when hills are involved !) so it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.
I bet there were similar opinions when horseless carrigages first came onto the roads.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2021, 07:42:30 pm »
The  joy of a ride on my RST is matched by the joy of a ride on my ebike (when hills are involved !) so it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.
I bet there were similar opinions when horseless carrigages first came onto the roads.

That takes me back. I always tipped the guy walking in front of me with the red flag.😉
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink