Author Topic: Youth Hostels  (Read 4923 times)

mrtrellis

Re: Youth Hostels
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2021, 07:51:39 pm »
Hello everyone this my first post
On the majority of my trips I wild camp and supplement this with £25 travelodges if available.
Warmshower hosts, these can be a bit hit and miss but are very good.
YHA’s, recently stayed in Cambridge, with Covid, YHA are extremely cautious, eg shared dorms and self catering kitchens not open and showers need to be booked in advance (not a particular problem)
Independent hostels, I stayed  in Kendal last year (much more relaxed, kitchens open, shared dorms) and Hebden Bridge (pre Covid) both excellent
I feel age is not relevant (I’m 66) and get on with people of all ages and don’t feel uncomfortable with any
I like travel with an open mind and take things as the arise

PH

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2021, 10:45:52 am »
I feel age is not relevant (I’m 66) and get on with people of all ages and don’t feel uncomfortable with any
I like travel with an open mind and take things as the arise
Welcome, some interesting points.  I may try some YHA private rooms, it's not something I've considered before, I like Travelodge and Premier Inns, but they get expensive some weekends, so maybe mixing them with YHA would work for me.
Likewise I try and keep an open mind and don't find age has much to do with getting on (Or not) with someone.

tyreon

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2021, 02:08:23 pm »
Good points made above.

I have found you get more ossifed as you get older: you dont have to,of course. But it has been the trend for some 10,000 years ;). I'm married and getting on a bit. Single,I'd still try camping or YH,but theseadays I think I've moved upmarket just a tad. I think I prefer the freedom of camping or inexpensive lodgings,but preference and other considerations move me more towards private rooms or somesuch. I think youth has left me behind,but consider I am always to be corrected by others or by example. Enforced increased decreptitude has limited my horizons: then my mind is willing but my body is weak is another excuse for me take the low road.

Travelling by two cuts down costs,especially with rooms. I guess(I dont know)no reductions in price are allowed when staying alone in Travelodge or similar.

I am unsure how I travelled before in that I never booked accommodation and just fell across it! No iphone or similar. I guess I/we were lucky or could walk or cycle on. That or be prepared to sleep in a bush! I am not prepared to do this theseadays...I think...(No. I must talk sense!)

I have witnessed(in person) and watched(on You Tube)others off roading on the King Alfreds Way. I'm non too sure what is happening there. Some camping...covered in mud. Any washing done? And pooping? Would you return to revisit the experience? No. Those journeys I count out and dont ever consider