Author Topic: New (to me ) Thorn 853 Audax  (Read 5234 times)

TheShipwright

New (to me ) Thorn 853 Audax
« on: June 24, 2018, 07:05:46 pm »
Hi Folks,

By way of an intro I thought I'd mention that I bought myself my first Thorn bike, a used Thorn 853 Audax.

I've contacted Dave W at the SJS workshop who gave me some info on frame numbering and I worked out it was built by Lee Cooper as it was stamped (LA) next to the serial number.

I've not cycled a steel framed bike for just over a year and I was completely blown away by how smooth and comfortable it was.

Some jobs undertake so far, I've rebuilt the hubs (one new cone required), tweaked the derailleurs as theshifting wasn't great, carbon seatpost, lightweight fizik saddle, swapped the R451 (tiagra?) for R651's I had n the shed.   Next up new lighter wheels and a carbon fork. I'm not trying to be a weight weenie but the 36H XT/Sun CR18 wheels are a little heavy for my needs.

Paint isn't in great condition however I'm trying to save it via touch paint up etc however there's one very happy Thorn owner here.

Image fail, will add a snap later.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: New (to me ) Thorn 853 Audax
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 07:36:00 pm »
Oh, what a beauty; sure shows well in the photo. All congratulations as 853 Audaxes are a prize these days.

Best,

Dan.

Neil Jones

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 07:44:36 pm »
Fabulous bike, you are going to enjoy that beauty I'm sure.

I have an 853 Audax too and find the combination of smooth yet responsive ride just right for my use.

There aren't many around now so you did well to bag one when one came up.

Happy cycling,
Neil

geocycle

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 08:05:11 pm »
Splendid bike, welcome to ownership. I note you said this is your first thorn bike....

TheShipwright

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 08:50:00 pm »
Thanks very much the feedback folks.

The funny thing about the cosmetic condition is that it seems to be the lacquer that's crazing the actual paint underneath is solid, well solid in most places.
There's a patch missing around the BB area.

Yep first Thorn but not my first involvement with SJS, I have a Rohloff that they've fixed for me and advised on a few occasions.

Thinking long term I considered getting it powder coated and replacing the decals but Dave W says they're not actually decals and that this batch of 853 frames were painted by ColourTec in Dartford and the Thorn and Audax are painted on before the top coat.

ridgeback63

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 07:12:40 pm »
Lovely bike,I've just done the cycle live Nottingham on my Audax,very comfortable,I'm sure you will enjoy her.

TheShipwright

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 09:21:44 am »
Thanks Ridgeback63, I'm still blown away by how comfortable these frames are, so much so I'm going back to 25mm tyres and moving my 28mm tyres back to the carbon bike.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 06:41:57 pm »
Lovely bike. Having just got an Audax, I'm sure you'll have many years of enjoyable cycling. I know I will.

Best,
Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

yorkshirethorn

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 08:03:51 pm »
Hi Guys,

Sorry, new on here, how does the comfort rate on the 853 Audax compared to the newer MK3/R version?

Kind Regards
Matt

TheShipwright

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 08:56:05 pm »
Hi Janet,
Janet thanks, I'm still really enjoying my "new" bike and I hope you're enjoying yours as much as I am my bike.

Matt, sorry I can't assist as this 853 version is my first Thorn.
I'm sure some others will chip in. I think there's a chap on here called Leftpoole who has had many Thorns and was looking for an 853 version recently.

Good luck.

leftpoole

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 10:06:08 am »
Hi Janet,
Janet thanks, I'm still really enjoying my "new" bike and I hope you're enjoying yours as much as I am my bike.

Matt, sorry I can't assist as this 853 version is my first Thorn.
I'm sure some others will chip in. I think there's a chap on here called Leftpoole who has had many Thorns and was looking for an 853 version recently.

Good luck.

Hello,
Indeed I have built a few Thorn cycles over many years. Most enjoyed.
The 853 which I am certainly looking for in size 550 frame or complete was a very stiff frame and the comfort was in many peoples opinion compromised. But I felt at one/home on the bike and regret selling it. But I sold for health reasons.
The Mk 3 of which I have one is comfortable and holds the road well. Better in many ways than the 853.
Regards,
John

jags

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 04:22:34 pm »
i have a new Thorn audax meself  no idea if it's a mk 3 or 4 but it's a wee beauty rides like a dream loaded or  unloaded.done a tour with bikepacker few years back the bike was great but the pilot was knackered had to abandon ship after few days (bloody sore back)
anyhoooo i hope to get back cycling on the Thorn in the next couple months.

anto.

leftpoole

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2020, 02:35:45 pm »
Hi Guys,

Sorry, new on here, how does the comfort rate on the 853 Audax compared to the newer MK3/R version?

Kind Regards
Matt
I have three Thorn Audax 853! I love them. All in different specifications.
I highly recommend obviously.
The comfort of the ride of the mark 3 is smoother.
By the way production of this made in England hand brazed frame stopped some years ago.
So sorry.
John
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 08:16:33 am by leftpoole »