Author Topic: New bike  (Read 4157 times)

Oggi

• D-JAC Limited
New bike
« on: June 21, 2018, 08:49:22 pm »
Hi folks

I can now hold my head up on the forum. Yesterday I picked up my Mercury from Bridgwater and had my first ride today. Beautiful day in the Peak District but a an 18 mph headwind for most of the 20 miles and 1000ft of ascent. I hope that isn’t an indication of future rides!
The bike is everything I hoped it would be but I had forgotten how long a Brookes saddle takes to wear in. I’m going to resist putting my existing Brookes on it but I may relent for a much longer ride.
First tour in a few weeks until then it will be day rides. Luckily I live in one of the most beautiful parts of England. It’s not Wales but you can’t have everything.

Doug

julk

Re: New bike
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 09:21:27 pm »
Nice scenery, nice bike, lucky you :)
Julian.

jags

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 09:22:07 pm »
Wow that is one class machine 8) 8) 8)
great paint job i like it.
very best of luck enjoy every pedal stroke keep her clean.

Anto.

energyman

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 10:08:06 pm »
I do like Red Rohloffs they really look classy.

John Saxby

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 10:09:15 pm »
Sunshine, dry stone walls in the hill country, and Mercury.  Nicely done, Doug -- enjoy!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 10:48:44 pm »
All congratulations on what looks a fantastic bike, Doug! Love the pool-cue paint job. As Anto would say, "Class"!  ;)

Best,

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 12:01:06 am »
... ...  but I had forgotten how long a Brookes saddle takes to wear in. I’m going to resist putting my existing Brookes on it but I may relent for a much longer ride. ...

Most of my tours were done with one saddle, but during that time I have toured on four bikes.  Consider swapping saddles for the first tour that you do in a few weeks so that you have one that you know you will enjoy using for long days.

ridgeback63

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 09:32:07 pm »
Lovely bike,great paintjob as well.

in4

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 10:16:23 pm »
Coincidentally  I was through The Peaks twice yesterday. Sadly not on my Nomad but in a huge van. I know which mode of transport I'd have preferred. Lovely bike. I like the way your Ortlieb bar bag neatly fits between  your GP5s and is attached to your accessory bar.
Thanks for posting. If you see a very slow Nomad in the Hope Valley that'll be me. :)

lewis noble

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 10:26:47 pm »
Lovely bike, Doug, and good photo. Where in the Peaks are you? I live in Broomhill, Sheffield,  and my trips into the Peaks are gradually getting longer . . .

Lewis

Oggi

• D-JAC Limited
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 10:31:07 pm »
I’m based near Buxton. I’d be happy to meet up fellow thorn owners for a ride and coffee but I suspect in4 will overtake me! I’m going over to Cheshire tomorrow for a ride in the flatlands.

Andre Jute

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 09:40:17 am »
Love the pool-cue paint job.

It does look quite as traditional as a misspent childhood in the snooker hall. Clever paintwork. Enjoy!

Swislon

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 11:01:24 am »
 Excellent choice Doug.
Some Brookes seem to fit out of the box and others take time. Strange but I guess it depends on the leather and which part of the animal it’s been taken.