Author Topic: Janet's new Audax, Bettina  (Read 6207 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Janet's new Audax, Bettina
« on: June 17, 2018, 03:24:01 pm »
Hi All!

Janet is now in possession of here lovely new Audax, named Bettina.

I am posting some initial photos on her behalf. I won't say more, as Janet herself can relate her plans for using the bike right away.  ;)

Let's all welcome Bettina to the gallery and Thorn Cycling Forum!  :)

All the best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Janet's new Audax, Bettina
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 03:27:49 pm »
What a beauty, and what terrific photos, Janet!

All best wishes for many happy Adventures together.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 04:01:07 pm »
janet you need a rear rack.lovely bike  your health to ride it.

anto.

geocycle

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 07:41:21 pm »
Great looking bike. Have you got an uplift there or is the saddlebag sitting on the mudguard?

energyman

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 07:42:50 pm »
Janet,
Nice bike.
What is the weight difference with your RST please ?

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 02:59:50 am »
That's a lovely color, and pretty visible too for safety.

Neil Jones

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 04:06:08 pm »
Your new Audax looks terrific Janet, hope you've been enjoying getting some miles in since you've had it. I think you will notice a difference in responsiveness compared to your RST, I do anyway. Like you I have a saddlebag on my Audax which I prefer to a rack as I find I like to carry the weight closer to the centre of the bike. I have a small frame and I find the I have just enough seat height to allow me to use a Carradice Bagman support with about an inch gap above the rear mudguard

You now have 2 fantastic bikes in your stable. I love my Audax, it's a beautiful bike to ride and flies up the hills compared to my RST. I'm planning on lightening my RST this Autumn, substituting the Thorn Expidition rear rack and using a saddlebag and possible fitting drops to it so will be interesting to see if it feels nippier on the road.

Hi energyman I would think that my Audax 853 with saddlebag support would weigh around 11kgs and my RST with expedition rack and hub dynamo and lights weighs around 14.5kgs. I can let you know exact weights towards the end of the week if you'd like as in work for next couple of days.

Regards,
Neil

energyman

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 04:51:43 pm »
Thanks Neil,
Thought it must be a couple of kgs lighter.  I have hub dynamo & Thorn heavy rack too.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 09:44:34 pm »
janet you need a rear rack.lovely bike  your health to ride it.

anto.

Yup, got one Anto ;D

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 10:17:53 pm »
Hi Folks,

Dan, Thanks for sorting my photos out and thanks for your kind wishes.

Great looking bike. Have you got an uplift there or is the saddlebag sitting on the mudguard?
The saddlebag is on a Carradice bag support that I've had in the garage for decades. Knew it would come in handy one day. I've now put a rear pannier rack on instead but its strictly NO panniers on this bike. I have had to take the front mudguard off because I could not stop it rubbing (I've got Marathon Supremes 700 x 32c on her - and very nice they are too). It does however make it easier to get the bike into the car.

Neil, I would agree with your assessment of the weights of said bikes but my RST seems to be an awful lot heavier. Very difficult to get it on the bathroom scales tho ::)

My bike was ready a week earlier than expected and I was due to go down to a friends the following day so they delivered it to her house in Harlech, Wales. The poor thing had to put up with it in her tiny living room for the duration. I was unable to use it much as my friend is a non-cyclist but the photos are taken when I did manage to get out one afternoon.
Since I've been home, I can't stay off her. Any excuse to go out on her as she is a delight to ride and so light.
She is called Bettina after my favorite cyclist author, Bettina Selby (I suppose I could have called it "Selby" but I thought "Bettina" fitted her better).

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 10:48:11 pm »
Janet what groupset have u on her ;)
mine has new Tiagra 10 speed never misses a beat,the suprems are good  but the Conti hardshell gatorskins are way better .i use the ortlieb barbag all the time  seldom use the rear rack for carrying anything but still handy to have,when i toured with bikepacker i had 2 loaded panniers and tent on the rear barbag up front not a bother worked great.
have fun on that beauty keep her clean.

anto.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2018, 01:19:26 pm »
Sorry Anto, only just read your message.
I've also got a Tiagra Triple 26/36/48 (Ultra-wide gearing) with 11 -36, 30speed Shimano Deore MTB mech on the back. I had to pay extra to have Thorn 160mm cranks instead of the 170mm Shimano ones for my little legs. I like the Supremes but I've had to take the front mudguard off because it was rubbing on the tyre. Mind you, it makes it much easier to get the bike in the car sans mudguard.

Trying not to put much luggage on. I'm trying to keep her as light as I can. But if the whim takes me I'm sure she can take some rear panniers and a bar bag. Not sure about piling camping equipment on her tho.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2018, 06:30:27 pm »
i never an issue with loaded rear panniers and 2 man tent Janet great steel frame sure not a bother on her.i havent done any serious cycling in months playing pitch n putt all the time not a big sport in the UK but big here in Ireland.
anyway Janet mind yourself on that bike keep her clean.

Anto.