Author Topic: cycle computer  (Read 6867 times)

Dave B

cycle computer
« on: June 16, 2018, 06:08:43 pm »
Hi, can any one recommend a wireless computer that has the facility to compute mileage above 10,000. Cheers

geocycle

Re: cycle computer
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 08:35:32 pm »
My old cat eye strava has 35000 on the odometer. Works well but there are probably better options now.

RonS

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 01:32:27 am »
VDO counts over 10,000

My last one, now gone to speedo heaven, hit 9999.9 in the middle of a tour, and didn't even roll over to 0. It just flashed 9999.9 until I took out the battery to reset it, so I know where you are coming from.

Dave B

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 08:50:34 am »
VDO. Seen that brand. Any suggestions on what version? Not interested in GPS. Needs to be of button battery type.Thanks for the responses

RonS

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 08:39:01 pm »
It just depends on how many bells and whistles you want. The VDO website describes all the features on each model. Mine is a 3.1 wired, which is fairly basic.
 One thing I find odd with the VDO compared to any previous speedo I have had is that the odometer is accessed only in the settings. All the odometers on the regular screens are resettable trip counters.
Not a deal breaker for me, but it does mean a few more button pushed to see total distance since the unit was installed.
Best
Ron

Dave B

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 09:45:08 pm »
Thanks for the advice. Currently running a Cateye, which does show total mileage but reverts back to zero!  Will keep looking. Cheers

RonS

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 10:41:02 pm »
Another thing to look for when shopping is the ability to set the odometer on initial setup. Some brands will only start from zero when new. The VDO can be set to any number, so that you can carry on counting from whatever number was on the old speedo if you choose.

Andre Jute

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 03:13:45 am »
Even the cheapest Sigma goes beyond 10,000, probably to five nines, though I don't have a bike with 99,999 in any recognized unit on it. But I do have a bike with over 10,000km on it, and the computer has not reset to zero. The cheap Sigma also has a facility, with a rubberized watertight button between the head and the handlebar clamp where it is protected once set, for setting a start mileage higher than zero on the accumulator when you first fit it, or transfer it between bikes if you use the computer to keep track of services. Around a tenner or maybe a bit over these days. I've been using the cheap Sigma for years and they are genuinely waterproof so they last and last, so that my most recent one is a 509; they've had many upgrades since then, each with a new xxx9 number, but it's basically the same thing: a genuine high-value for a low price. Check the facilities though: you might want something more than a basic five-function bike computer -- I find it tells me everything I want to know, in letters large enough to be instantly read on its sizable scrolling display.

martinf

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 09:08:51 am »
Even the cheapest Sigma goes beyond 10,000, probably to five nines.

Not the very old ones (BC500 and probably others). These have a 4 digit display that continues through zero. I have a BC500 that has been through zero twice, so it has lasted for more than 20,000 kms.