Author Topic: swiss stop blue pads  (Read 180 times)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
swiss stop blue pads
« on: June 13, 2018, 10:25:08 PM »
I'm nearing 20,000 miles on my original pads & decided not to push my luck too much. So new pads went on today. The big surprise was that the rear pads look more worn than the front pads. I think I have a tendency to use my rear brake as a drag on long descents & to save my front brake for when I really need to stop. Mostly though I just sit up tall and let my baggy shirt catch the wind coming down the big hills!

mickeg

Re: swiss stop blue pads
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 12:38:03 AM »
Keep the old ones for spares.  Looks like they still have lots of miles.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 09:41:53 AM »
The problem I find with them after they wear past about 50% is that they don't brake very well in the wet as the water dispersal groves have gone.

jags

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 11:39:03 PM »
pretty good even ware, bin the old stick on new to be sure to be sure ;)

anto.

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 12:50:45 AM »
For comparison, the attached photo is of the brake pads I took off my bike after I finished my Pacific Coast tour.  Lots of steep hills on that trip.  The rims were normal, not CSS rims.

PH

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 11:36:56 AM »
I'm nearing 20,000 miles on my original pads
have you tried using non CSS pads yet?
I can't remember how many miles I'd done but once the rim surface was smooth I changed to some of the normal pads I use on non CSS rims and the braking was at least as good and the wear rate acceptable.

mickeg

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 08:27:18 PM »
I can't remember how many miles I'd done but once the rim surface was smooth I changed to some of the normal pads I use on non CSS rims and the braking was at least as good and the wear rate acceptable.

Thanks for posting, I suspected that might be the case, but I think you are the first whom has tried that and reported on it here.

My Koolstop CSS pads are not worn far enough to need changing yet, plus I have another spare set.  But by the time the spares are shot my rims should be smooth enough to warrant trying the softer pads.