Author Topic: de code frame numbers  (Read 2838 times)

Northern monkey

de code frame numbers
« on: June 24, 2018, 07:02:01 pm »
Hi I am looking at purchasing a second-hand Thorn Nomad with the following frame # NC560M10005 does any one know what this means ?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: de code frame numbers
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 07:39:48 pm »
The serial shows it is a size 560M Nomad. That has the Medium as opposed to the Long top tube (The Nomad was not produced in a S or short top tube).

It doesn't look to be a current model Nomad Mk2 because the closest size there would be a 565M.

Does the bike you're looking at have a Rohloff drivetrain or is it a derailleur model?

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 07:42:03 pm by Danneaux »

mickeg

Re: de code frame numbers
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 04:01:52 am »
if you can get the serial number off of the Rohloff hub, that will tell you when the hub was built unless it is more recent than this table.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohloff#Products

The hub could have sat on a shelf for a few years but it is unlikely that the Nomad would be older than the Rohloff since the age of a Thorn is considered the year when it was sold to the first owner.

The Mk II frame has an extra bit of reinforcing at the downtube and headtube.  Colors are yellow or black.  If the reinforcing is missing, it is older than the Mk II.

Dan, I sort of agree with your conclusion on serial numbers but my Nomad which is a size 590M has a serial number of C585M10009, mine is a Mk II bought in 2013 with S&S couplers.  Thus, my size and serial number are not in agreement either.