Author Topic: Orbit XL 2 Exploded view  (Read 5104 times)

berlinstu

Orbit XL 2 Exploded view
« on: June 11, 2018, 09:31:49 pm »
New to the forum, so apologies if covered elsewhere - I couldn't find it.

I'm just about to start a tour on my Nomad Mk2, and unfortunately had to dismantle and pack for air travel in a bit of a hurry. To comply with size restrictions I also had to remove forks. As a consequence of rushing (I know, I know..)  I'm not absolutely sure I've got the order of parts on the Orbit XL2 headset right.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where to find a PDF showing the 'exploded view' of an XL2 so that I can check I've put it all back together correctly?

Thanks,

Stuart

John Saxby

Re: Orbit XL 2 Exploded view
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 09:48:22 pm »
Here you go, Stuart -- two PDFs attached.

Cheers,  John

PS:  I got these from FSA/North America tech support in response to an inquiry like yours--took less than an hour for FSA to respond by email.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 09:50:19 pm by John Saxby »

mickeg

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 01:06:23 am »
I usually put a copy of the exploded diagram or a photo, or maybe both on my phone so I have it where I can pull it up when I travel.

Attached is a photo of the parts on my Nomad fork in the correct order, except of course the frame and cups are missing in the photo.

I have to remove the fork to fit the frame in the S&S case, so I put all the parts on the fork in the correct order when I do that.  And put a rubber band on the steerer tube to keep all the parts on the fork.

berlinstu

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 05:08:28 am »
Gents,

Thank you both for the responses. Super helpful; much appreciated.

Best,

Stuart

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles

RA1

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 04:11:36 pm »
The collective knowledge and helpfulness on this forum is amazing!

mickeg

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 05:21:24 pm »
One more suggestion for when you have the fork out of the frame.

When I bought my Nomad frame and fork I was quite surprised to see a piece of tape inside the head tube that covered the small holes into the top tube and down tube, I had never seen that before.  But within a few seconds I realized that was a brilliant way to try to keep any water that came into the headtube from getting into the top tube or down tube.

Thus, if your bike does not have that piece of tape, I would suggest adding it before you install the fork.

My Nomad is the S&S variety and includes small discs at the S&S couplers to plug off the tubing ends with blank discs.  Thus, if water got into the top tube or down tube, that water could flow down hill and accumulate inside the tubing at the blanked off couplings.  Maybe SJS adds that only to S&S frames, I do not know?  But it makes sense on all frames and I have added that piece of tape to several other bikes since then because it makes so much sense.