Author Topic: Orders are in!  (Read 2687 times)

JanieB

Orders are in!
« on: June 11, 2018, 03:22:52 pm »
What a great appointment at Thorn with Stephen taking time to answer all our questions, share advice and listen to feedback when we came back from the test ride. Of course, all we wanted to do was keep the test bikes but alas, that is not how it works.

So now, after having toured England for two weeks, the foot tapping has commenced big time. Cannot wait for those two boxes to make their way through the door.
What next?

jags

Re: Orders are in!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 04:13:11 pm »
happy days what did you buy and where you going. ;)

anto.

JanieB

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 04:32:32 pm »
We went there with our loaded touring bikes in order to make sure we get the right frames, was a toss up between the Raven and the Nomad but in the end it was the Nomad with Rohloff hub that got the nod.

I think our next long one will be Portugal and in the meantime good old Scotland.
What next?

jags

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 08:04:39 pm »
ah very good all sounds very exciting enjoy bikes and tours 8) 8)

anto.

PH

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 10:24:49 am »
Looking forward to the photos and touring tales. When are they due?
Just out of interest - What are your current touring bikes and why the Nomad rather than Raven?

JanieB

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 11:58:58 am »
PH, we should receive them the first week in July - hold fingers that it's earlier.

Well, we read the brochure a few times and initially we thought it would be the Raven. We then went with our loaded touring bikes for our appointment which turned out to be a blessing. Not only did it allow Stephen the chance to see how we pack, he could also feel the weight and take measurements on our current setups.

So we are on second hand bikes and have used them for over 2 years. Never left us standing but they are both not the exact size, plus they are 700c wheels and we would ideally like to do more unpaved routes with 26" wheel options. After tooing and froing for a long long time on whether we should just buy a bike off the peg, we decided this is a lifetime investment for us and we would rather do it propperly.

So based on Stephen's advice and also our future plans, he suggested the Nomad over the Raven.
What next?

lestat_12345

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 04:43:36 pm »
I initially had a Thorn Sherpa (actually 2 of them - the first was too small) before I got my Nomad and have never looked back since. It's a great bike and the Rohloff is just exceptional (so much so I bought another). If anything goes wrong with the Nomad I would not think twice about getting another. Best bike I have ever owned with no exception. I'm also a heavy guy (currently 106 Kilos) and I never pack light so the Nomad is better suited to carry the weight. You'll love the bikes when you get them.