Author Topic: Audax Mk3  (Read 20324 times)

john28july

Re: Audax Mk3
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2007, 03:15:14 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by The Raucous AUK

It's an 11cm stem. I'll try to get the other measurement when I pop home for lunch.

(burp)

OK it's 42cm from the nose of the saddle to the steerer bolt and then the 11cm stem so that's 53cm in total.

You are a Star! Thank you. I will see if this equates.
John.

The Raucous AUK

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2007, 08:04:23 pm »
I had a short test spin last Sunday but had a much longer two-day unladen tour on it this weekend, doing about 70 miles each day over very varied terrain (a bit too hilly for my current condition!) and it handled really well especially on downhills when blasting around corners. The weight counts against it on longer climbs but only when compared to lightweight alu/carbon racers and I think I'll worry about the 28lbs around my midriff first!

First impressions are very favourable.

lb1dej

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2007, 04:23:43 pm »
Brochure is now available on the Thorn home page.
Dave

The Raucous AUK

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2007, 03:27:10 pm »
En garde!

There are mudguard bosses under the fork crown, on the chainstay bridge and under the brake bridge so I drilled out the rivets holding the front bracket on and drilled a small hole in the rear mudguard.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 06:43:04 pm by The Raucous AUK »

john28july

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2007, 04:11:54 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by The Raucous AUK

En garde!

There are mudguard bosses under the fork crown, on the chainstay bridge and under the brake bridge so I drilled out the rivets holding the front bracket on and drilled a small hole in the rear mudguard.

Hello,
Yes thats the way to do it! I drill off the 'tops' of the rivets. Remove one completely and bash the other flat to cover its hole.
John.
www.pbase.com/john28july
PS Not riding-ill!!! Grr.....
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 11:13:20 am by john28july »

Audax hopeful

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2007, 12:51:09 am »
I've just built mine too - but no mileage yet! It's equiped with comp triple gearset/chainset and veloce shifters.

The Raucous AUK

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2007, 07:32:53 am »
Nice! What brakes are those AH?

Audax hopeful

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2007, 10:36:37 am »
Brakes are Shimano 600 (need to be long reach - 57mm drop - so no Campag brakes are suitable. Went for the best I could as brakes can be really important to general confidence and enjoyment.

rhebarker

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2007, 12:03:56 pm »
Very smart Audax Hopeful - nice build.

I think you need to get a silver stem and spacers Alf - Loks a bit odd at the moment.  Do you want to borrow a chain tool too, or is baggy all the rage in Putt Albutt these days ;-)

The Raucous AUK

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2007, 10:33:46 am »
quote:
Originally posted by lb1dej

Brochure is now available on the Thorn home page.
Dave

Crikey! Looking at the brochure I now realise that I was served by Mr. Thorn himself.

nilaymk

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2007, 01:06:16 pm »
Hi I had few questions regarding the frame.

As i am 5'4" tall, I am probably looking to get the Small (495) or Small/Med (525) size.

I couldnt find the following info in the brochure:

- Wheelbase:
- head tube angle:
- fork rake:
- Head tube length
- Frame+fork (standard steel fork) weight:
- suitability of upgrading to a Carbon fibre fork on Small size. The brochure mentions that the fork SJS sells is not suitable but is there any other fork that i could use?

cheers
nilay

The Raucous AUK

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2007, 01:54:55 pm »
Hi Nilay,

Your questions are very specific so unless someone here has those two sizes then you're best advised to e-mail Thorn or SJSC rather than post an 'open question' here as Robin and Andy don't dip into here that often and have also previously advised me that it's best to e-mail them direct. Unless the top tube is too long for you I'd guess that the small-medium would suit you best but accept that I'm not best placed to advice you!

FWIW I'm 5'8" and sized mine as a medium based on the head tube length and took 1cm off my normal stem length as the top tube was longer than what I'm used to riding.

I don't know what you intend using this for but I'm delighted with mine and just wish work and the weather would allow me to ride it! For what it's worth I reckon the steel fork is good enough for my purposes (winter bike and audax bike) and I can't see me bothering with a carbon fork now and I don't really dig the black fork thing anyway!

Good Luck.

nilaymk

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2007, 04:08:50 pm »
well my intention is to run the bike with 2 different setups:
- a "fast and light" running slick tires (700cx23 or 700cx25).
- With a change of the wheels, brakes and fork i could convert it into a "touring" bike running beefy tires (650b-35 or 650b-38)

the "fast and light" setup is the primary setup and will have:
- a 50x34 chainset with 12x23 or 12x25, 10 speed cassette
- 700c (ISO 622) wheels built using shimano deore quality hubs (135mm) and mavic cxp33 or equivalent semi deep rims and possibly aero spokes.
- Shimano drivetrain, (casstte, chainset, derailers etc) with Campagnolo! ergo brake/shifters
- 57 mm reach brakes
- carbon fibre fork.
- weight target: 8 kgs but would be happy with 9 kg or less.
- cost target: 1000£ or less including frame and forks and rest of the components (----ebay rocks! ;-) ---------)

the "touring" setup is an experimental project with 650b wheels. If successful i will use this setup once a year. the setup will be:
- a 50x34 chainset with 14x32 or 14x30 10 speed cassette (custom cassette built using individual sprockets based on shimano 14-25 ultegra cassette)
- 650b (ISO 584 wheels built using shimano deore hub (135mm) and 650b rims
- Shimano drivetrain, (casstte, chainset, derailers etc) with Campagnolo! ergo brake/shifters
- 57 mm reach brakes or a centerpull brake
- the Thorn steel fork.

theoratically switching between these setups would reqire:
- swapping the fork (with a sealed bearing headset this should not be very difficult.
- swapping the brakes (if done carefully, this can be done without excessivly kinking or fraying of the cables)

- swapping the wheels (well if the above was successful this is will take a matter of seconds to do :-) ).

this is an ambitious DIY project including building 2 wheel sets, so i am quite excited about it.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 04:09:45 pm by nilaymk »

The Raucous AUK

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2007, 08:21:59 pm »
Why not get two Audax Mk.3's! It wouldn't be that much more especially when considering that you get the headset, seatpin and bottom bracket for £299 and you're already planning on having two sets of wheels and different cassettes.

Without using exotica I don't think you'll get anywhere near 8kgs even with a carbon fork.

Audax hopeful

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2007, 06:20:10 pm »
First, sizing: I wasn't sure of my correct frame size, couldn't decide between med and sma/med, so I went to bridgewater to have a look / discussion and was pleased to find both sizes of Mk3 Audax built up on the premises. After trying both (stationary) I chose the sma/med (Thorn staff agreed too) and I'm very happy now it's built - it just feels right!! BUT I'm 5'9" tall of average build, which would suggest at 5'4" you'll need the small. The most important measurement though is top tube length - if you can visit the shop do, if not definitely talk to and/or email the SJSC/Thorn staff. They really are good to deal with!!

Second, 650b wheels: I must admit I knew nothing about these so I've googled all the info I can find and I see what you're thinking. Thing is the Mk3 Audax is not a fully loaded touring frame - weight carrying recomendations are in the brochure (and are probably very conservative!) but with these in mind, why would you need to go to tyres bigger than 28c with guards ?? (without guards you can use upto 35c I think?). If you really want a full tourer perhaps the Club Tour is a better bet?? It looks to be a great bike at a similar price to Audax and takes 37c tyres without all the hassell of converting to 650b wheels!!

And as none of the Thorn bikes (afaik) have been designed for 650b wheels, why compromise the great design you're paying for by converting them??

Just my thoughts - you pays your money and takes your choice - but this forum is proof that Thorn design great bikes, so talk your requirements over with them and maybe try to get a test ride!!