Author Topic: Derailleurs anyone?  (Read 4472 times)

in4

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Derailleurs anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 03:50:17 pm »
! :)Very nice article from an unexpected source, Ian; thanks for sharing.

PAul de Vivie ("Velocio") has long been a cycling hero of mine and I have a medal struck commemorating his efforts to advance touring cycling., so that first entry struck a pleasant chord for me.

Another good historical resource for derailleurs is: http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Home.html

All the best,

Dan.

energyman

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 09:47:20 pm »
Very interesting thanks, but still prefer hub gears though

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 01:58:37 am »
Not my usual read I stress but

I wouldn't want to be mistaken for a Guardian reader either. How many stupidities can even a Guardian writer stuff into a single line of text?

"incredible but doomed euro-technology in the fine tradition of the Citröen DS and the Concorde airliner"

The DS was in production for 21 years, sold 1.456 million units, and was voted the most important car of the 20th century. And there are currently not just one but two commercial supersonic trans-Atlantic planes in the final stages of development.

Is this fellow any more reliable on derailleurs than he is on automobiles and planes?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 03:11:05 am by Andre Jute »

John Saxby

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 03:45:28 am »
DS was in production for 21 years, sold 1.456 million units, and was voted the most important car of the 20th century.

Not only that, but how many cars manage to include a subtle double entendre--and why, indeed, even consider a double entendre if it ain't subtle, after all?--in their name?  A  "DS"  is French for "goddess" (déesse).

(This tangent is at least as interesting as being nudged off the rails by a maladjusted dérailleur...)

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 06:10:59 am »
"An intense, amorous studiousness" — the philosopher Roland Barthes on the new Goddess
http://www.id-ds.com/CitDBarthes.htm
— well describes me shopping for a new bike!