Author Topic: moan of the day  (Read 17974 times)

jags

Re: moan of the day
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2018, 12:16:47 am »
Well im off to me cot no matter what ride safe.

Neil Jones

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2018, 09:45:17 am »
I was reading the latest Cyclist magazine whilst waiting to get what's left of my hair cut in the barbers yesterday. I couldn't believe the cost of the bikes advertised or reviewed in there, £8000 would be on the lower end of the scale. Handlebars £650, Campag Super Record £2700, shoes £300. I think they are definitely cashing in on the cycling trend.

I bought my RST 7 years ago, it was treble what I'd ever spent on a bike before so to justify it I worked out that if I commuted to work for 21,000 miles it would pay for itself in fuel savings alone. I passed that mark not long ago so now I am in credit plus the bike is still worth about a grand. I've no doubt that a cheaper derailleur bike would have done the job just as well but I love the fact that the rohloff bike needs very little maintenance and is a lot easier to clean.

My chief moan is the cyclists that don't acknowledge you when they pass by. It seems to be getting worse with each passing year, especially the racing types in full team kit. I can guarantee they will be back in their cars come October whilst I'm battling a head on gale force wind at 5am, rant over.   :D

Neil

martinf

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2018, 10:09:27 am »
I know how much I was spending on keeping a bike fit for work, that's why I bought the rohloff, it paid for itself a long time ago and since then has been saving me money ;D

There are even cheaper ways of saving money and, more important for me, maintenance time, on a commuting bike - Sturmey Archer 3-speed or the older Sturmey Archer 5-speeds (newer ones weren't reliable). Most of my commuting from 1980 to 2012 was done on Sturmey Archer hub gears, fitted to second-hand bicycles that I got for next to nothing. Compared to derailleurs, hub gears get rid of front and rear derailleur, reduce the number of sprockets and chainrings, so easier to clean. And the chain/chainring/sprocket generally last longer, even without a Chainglider.

Pushed to the extreme, single-speed or fixed should be even cheaper, but I found these options too hard on my knees.

But the limited gearing of 3 to 5 speed hub gears is only practical if you don't live somewhere too hilly. Rohloff sorts that.

Nowadays, Nexus or Alfine 8-speed hub gears might be good alternatives in moderately hilly areas. These 8-speeds have been around for a few years, so their initial defects have mostly been corrected. They don't have the same gear range or reputation for reliability as a Rohloff, but can be had for about a tenth of the price. The Nexus SG-C6010-8RV Premium hub is currently less than £70 from SJS, so about £100 counting the shifter, sprocket, and other necessary fittings.

bikepacker

• Bikepacker
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2018, 01:06:44 pm »
sounds like triggers brush to me.great miles for sure but sora would do the same miles no problem if you look after it am i right or am i right. ;)

Anto
I’m with you; my Super Galaxy debunks the stated economic myth.

You have to remember there are a few know-all folks that go around different forums arguing to the “nth degree” in an attempt to show how clever they are, when they are not.
If you want to be happy learn to be alone without being lonely.
If you want to enjoy the world see it from the saddle of a bike.
If you want to experience beauty camp alone in a spectacular place.
If you want release your anxieties cease excuses and take actions.

PH

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2018, 12:35:01 am »
Yip your wrong way wrong.take my raleigh with campag record probably twenty  thousant on that my look had  probably 14on it both were still in top class worki.g order I have a fair few miles on my audax still perfect none of those bikes cost as much as a rohlof bike. The dolan only comes out when the sun shines but it will never let me down  none of mybikes ever let me down simply because i look after them.what about all the guys that toured the anet on off the peg bikes even if they did replace  parts it comes no where near  t he price of a rohloff.your been brainwashed into thing your saving yourself money.
Campag Record groupset list price - £1,795
Rohloff list price - £799 to £939 + brakes, chain. BB and chainset to make it match what you get in a groupset

Campag record cassette RRP £261.99 - £364.99
Rohloff Sprocket £12.99 (and it's reversible)

Andre Jute

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2018, 03:31:32 am »
My GP and my cardiologist are both convinced that if it weren't for my cycling, I'd be dead. That's a killer (sorry!) argument that trumps whatever money and time I spent on bicycles since I gave up the car c1990.

bikepacker

• Bikepacker
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2018, 08:41:20 am »
Yip your wrong way wrong.take my raleigh with campag record probably twenty  thousant on that my look had  probably 14on it both were still in top class worki.g order I have a fair few miles on my audax still perfect none of those bikes cost as much as a rohlof bike. The dolan only comes out when the sun shines but it will never let me down  none of mybikes ever let me down simply because i look after them.what about all the guys that toured the anet on off the peg bikes even if they did replace  parts it comes no where near  t he price of a rohloff.your been brainwashed into thing your saving yourself money.
Campag Record groupset list price - £1,795
Rohloff list price - £799 to £939 + brakes, chain. BB and chainset to make it match what you get in a groupset

Campag record cassette RRP £261.99 - £364.99
Rohloff Sprocket £12.99 (and it's reversible)

Maybe you need to compare like with like, first it’s economics and now it’s new price. Also I am sure that those purchasing a new Campag group set would not be interested in any hub gear.

Leaving in the next hour for at least a 10 day tour maybe longer with my wife. I shall be riding my Super Galaxy with hubs, gears and chainrings that cost less than £100 in 1998. Since then it may have had another £170 or so spent on cassettes chains and chainrings. Total mileage of the bike well over 100.000.

[Post edited to remove reference to another member in response to a complaint. -- Dan.]
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 01:49:00 pm by Danneaux »
If you want to be happy learn to be alone without being lonely.
If you want to enjoy the world see it from the saddle of a bike.
If you want to experience beauty camp alone in a spectacular place.
If you want release your anxieties cease excuses and take actions.

bobs

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2018, 09:29:34 am »
Does it really matter who has what or how much they have sent.  We are all different and as long as we are enjoying our cycling that's the main thing.

Bob

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2018, 01:28:33 pm »
Does it really matter who has what or how much they have sent.  We are all different and as long as we are enjoying our cycling that's the main thing.
I agree with Bob. "Vive la différence" and to each his or her own. Thorn make bikes for each and both. There is no "argument" to be won here and each choice has its adherents.

The cost comparisons between derailleur and Rohloff drivetrains have been well documented on the Rohloff board and elsewhere on the Forum and we're not making much headway here. While the general topics on the Muppets Board are more free than elsewhere, the tone and levels of discourse are the same as elsewhere on the Forum.

Since things are heating up both on and behind the scenes, I am locking this thread for now.

Best,

Dan.