Community > Cycle Tours

Essentials for on tour

(1/3) > >>

dogcart:
I tend to go on short tours, a few days to a week, in the UK. Work still gets in the way of pleasure.
I may go cycling or I may hike but usually wild camp when away. Even for a few days having lightweight gear is important but it got me thinking about weight saving on long trips, especially if you are going to be a long way from a supermarket.
What do people take and how much? It was doing the washing up of all things at the weekend that got me thinking. Do you take a litre bottle of Fairy Liquid or if not what do you take? Wild camping in northern England or Scotland is easy, sphagnum moss is abundant in the wilds and makes an excellent pan scrub with no need for Fairy. By the time you have packed liquid fuel, plenty of water (can reduce that with the fancy water filter bottles that get rid of bugs from muddy puddles), food that isn't dehydrated stuff, washing essentials (personal and pots/pans) you can soon be carrying several litres = several kilos of wet products.
I remember reading about a long distance walker who cut down his toothbrush and drilled holes in the remaining handle to save a few grams. Maybe a bit extreme but I'm interested in anyone else's tried and tested weight saving ideas for long trips in remote places.
Maybe just get fitter and traverse the remoteness quicker!

Mike Ayling:
One school of thought says that if you did not use an item on your last trip you can remove it from your packing list.

Do not skimp on your rain jacket, tent and sleeping bag. These items could save your life.

Mike

StuntPilot:
Or you can set of with a tent, sleeping bag, mat and credit card and only buy what you need on the way  ;D

I came across this interesting article today which is a good read when it comes to packing for a tour ...

http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/bikepacking-bags/panniers-vs-bikepacking-bags/

Oggi:
Having spent a lifetime climbing and backpacking all over the world I would always have three things to ensure you get right. Tent, sleeping bag and mat, the bags they go in (rucksack for backpacking). Get the lightest and most compact of these and you are off to a good start. As for the rest, weigh it all and decide if it is essential for life or the bike, necessary for comfortable living, or nice to have. The nice to haves are your last to pack and first to take out. Doug

bikepacker:
When I go backpacking I take the bare minimum because it is on my back. Cycle camping I treat differently as the bike is taking the weight not me.  Here is my cycle camping list: http://www.bikepacker.co.uk/List.htm

Often I go on long tours between 1 and 3 months so I want to be comfortable on the campsite. Also I differ from many on this and other forums because I believe the extra weight makes very little difference to my cycling as I only ever ride at a leisurely pace. I have climbed many of the notable cols and passes both with an unladen bike and with a loaded bike. My feeling is there not a lot of difference and I wasn't much slower.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version