Author Topic: Yikes. Isn't it strange  (Read 5575 times)

Matt2matt2002

Yikes. Isn't it strange
« on: May 26, 2018, 10:54:53 pm »
Spending a few days in Lanzarote watching my son-in-law do a triathlon.
Hired a bike for a 15 mile loop of geocashing.
Yikes! After 6+ years on a Rohloff it was a very strange experience fiddling about with levers and gears.
After 14.5 miles (& 3 geocashes) I had finally got the hang of things but can't wait to get back to my twist shifter and faithful Rohloff.
Made me appreciate internal gearing and how lucky I am to ride a Thorn Raven.

Do folk really enjoy all those gizmos and cogs?
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

jags

Re: Yikes. Isn't it strange
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 11:04:53 pm »
yip it's what you call real cycling ;)
i bet you seen feck all rohloff hubs on the tri boys bikes ;D ;D

anto.

PH

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 11:33:01 pm »
anto.
Yep, but you don't see many Rohloff riders getting of, leaving the bike behind and running ;)
What's that all about, they've got a bike, why not use it?  You're bound to win...

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 12:19:52 am »
Yep, but you don't see many Rohloff riders getting of, leaving the bike behind and running ;)
What's that all about, they've got a bike, why not use it?  You're bound to win...
;D  Brilliant, Paul!  ;D

All the best,

Dan.

David Simpson

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 12:23:13 am »
anto.

Except for that swimming part. You are not supposed to submerge a Rohloff, so it make more sense to take a derailleur bike on the swimming stage.

- DaveS

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 12:25:19 am »
Yup.  Of the fleet, ... ...

-   Nomad - Rohloff twist grip, on the bar end using the HubBub adapter on drop bars.

-   Sherpa and Lynskey - bar end shifters on triple front and eight speed cassette in back.

-   Folding bike - bar end shifters, right side for the eight speed cassette, left side is a Sturmey Archer bar end shifter for the Sram Dual Drive.

-   Raleigh - Campy brifters, double crank and 10 speed cassette.

-   Velo Orange - Campy brifter for rear, friction down tube for front derailleur on a triple crank.

-   Ideor - friction down tube for both front and rear, triple front and six speed cluster in back.

-   Bridgestone - the only flat bar bike in the fleet, triple crank and seven speed cassette, ratchet shifters front and rear.

So, it takes a bit to figure out what I am doing every time I get on a bike.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 12:54:46 am »
So, it takes a bit to figure out what I am doing every time I get on a bike.
Right there with you, George, at mumblefifteen in the active fleet including one Rohloff-equipped Nomad Mk2.

The most minimalist is my Draisienne/dandy horse/balance bike/running bike -- no drivetrain at all except my two feet for a Fred Flintstone drive. Low maintenance, not even an oil change is necessary!  ;) See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandy_horse

Feels and looks a bit like one of those fitness gliders you see in a home gym: https://www.picclickimg.com/d/w1600/pict/282462315172_/Gazelle-Edge-Glider-Trainer-Exercise-Machine-Body-Fitness.jpg

For a video of me on mine during development, see: https://drive.google.com/open?id=16siRq2Zu8BZNwa8yeadsf1v-9Kjvfst9 It has since been fitted with proper brakes; too exciting without.  :o

I've managed 44mi/71km on it at an average speed of 17kmh/11mph by flailing constantly at my usual hummingbird cadence. My eventual goal is 161km/100mi/day, but that will have to wait till I get the saddle sorted. On a Draisienne, all your weight is carried on the saddle, so it really pays to get one that works for you in that (upright) application and to ride with padded cycling shorts. Trousers or shorts with crotch seams are a no-no that won't be repeated.  :P

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 01:40:44 am »

An expensive eccentricity, that. Best avoided.

jags

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 07:06:32 pm »
anto.
;D ;D ;D

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 10:42:40 pm »
Gosh. I'm surprised my post has attracted so many, err, humorous replies.
Triathlon went well. Son-in-law aquited himself well. High up in his age group.
Enough about him. A non Thorn rider but a pretty good egg, non the less.
Out tomorrow on my second attempt on what I now brand, the primitive mode of cycling.
Sorry folks but all that shifting and numerous cogs n sprockets scramble my grey cells.
Anyway, out for some more geocashes. Hopefully. Roads as smooth as a baby's bum. Traffic light and respectful. Air temperature 20+. Winds mild. Sun, requires respect.

Bagged 2 today but via car.
Since the majority of mine in Scotland have been by bike ( Thorn Raven ) I am reluctant to count them as true finds.
But rules are rules, so they do count to my tally. 250+.

Fingers crossed for my gear changing.

It can't be any worse than before. Or can it?

mickeg

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 12:54:41 am »
The temp was 96 degrees F (35.5 degrees C) with a dewpoint in the mid 60s (F) today, so made no effort to try to ride anything that used muscle power and two wheels today.

But a photo for some nostalgia.

jags

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 03:09:43 pm »
Lovely Mike 8)

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 09:02:57 pm »
Second day out on what is termed here as a city bike.
Thin tires and usual funny gear set up.

Must admit I finally got the hang of things.
30 miles. Mid 20's. 2 DNF geocashes but interesting locations. Volcanic geology here is new to me.
Trying out a mountain bike tomorrow.
Wide tires and funny gears. Could be fun.