Author Topic: supplement shakes  (Read 2793 times)

in4

supplement shakes
« on: May 24, 2018, 10:53:54 pm »
Has anyone tried these supplement  shakes? A friend of mine who is wanting to put some weight on uses Optimum nutrition  Serious Mass. I'm wondering whether drinking shakes like these might be a convenient way of getting some carbs  in when out cycling. Does anyone use products like this and if so, what  do you think?

mickeg

Re: supplement shakes
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 12:38:26 am »
I think most of the shakes you are talking about are more protein based, not so much carbs.

Sometimes I have a half ounce by weight (half ounce is about 14 grams) of a powder after exercise that is mostly whey.  I think that is a protein rich byproduct of cheese making.

I have no clue if it does anything for me, but theoretically some protein after strenuous exercise is good for muscle recovery.  Weight lifters often use it, but I think they use a lot more than me.

John Saxby

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 07:42:21 pm »
A decade-plus ago, I hiked the Fish River Canyon in Namibia, and one of my hiking companions used only supplements over the 5 days or so, no "real" food.  He managed fine--much better than I'd have done on the same diet. Mind you, he had about 25 or 30 years on me, and aside from the initial descent and final climb, there were no serious grades.

No specific advice on shake, Ian, but I've attached a recipe for making energy bars.  This has a good base of carbs, some mono-unsaturated fat, and a good dose of protein, too.  No idea what the total calories might be, per unit, but I find that a square of this, about 2 1/2" square and 1"-plus thick, is an excellent snack midway through a 3- or 4-hour ride.

The recipe is simple and quick, and you can adapt it to your taste.  I got the original from a sometime contributor on crazyguy, and I've added my own notes (yellow-highlighted for my use). As an example: I use almond butter, rather than the peanut butter in the original. I prefer the taste of almond butter, and peanuts make me burp.

Have also added a note on a shake/smoothie from another crazyguy post, but I haven't tried this, so can offer no opinion on it.

Hope that's useful,

Cheers,  John

in4

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 08:31:09 pm »
Wow!

Thanks so much John. I really appreciate your reply.
Coincidentally I'm trying out a protein type shake during tomorrow's  ride.
The recipes look very interesting and I'll have a go at making the nutribar this week.
I bought my protein shake from one of those weightlifters stores. I'm 80kg dripping wet and both looked and felt decidedly out of place. That said the store owners were really helpful and seemed to know their stuff.
Thanks again

John Saxby

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 08:41:19 pm »
Great -- let us know how it goes.

I've used shakes--usually a hemp- or whey-based smoothie mix--as a mid-morning boost when hiking, but not in cycling.

jags

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 11:15:43 pm »
i tried them all no wonder i'm a fat git.
i found the best bar for energy  and taste  is
Rice Crispy Squares twinned with a banana and  throw in a few raisins and your away in a hack ;)
Rocket fuel thats the truth .

Anto.