Author Topic: thorn raven  (Read 4509 times)

pocket rocket

thorn raven
« on: May 22, 2018, 11:56:47 am »
my thorn raven doing what is meant for  ;D

PH

Re: thorn raven
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 12:52:27 pm »
Interesting - bike and mural.
Is that a Raven Sport?  The brakes on the back of the fork would indicate it, though there's plenty on combinations.  It isn't clear from the photos but are they Celtic bands on the frame?  If so it's one of the originals, only available for a couple of years, I got one of the first batch without them in late in 2004, I was a bit disappointed at the time but the plain look grew on me.

pocket rocket

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 01:18:20 pm »
hi , im finding out a lot of things with everyones help on here   brakes are mounted behind the forks  and it does have celtic banding on the frame , what year do you think it was made 2003 ?

jags

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 01:19:57 pm »
class bike that mural is excellent my son is a mural painter .
just though i'd drop that in. ;)
i#v just this minute finished washing and lubing my little hen must  take a photo .

anto.

PH

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 01:47:07 pm »
hi , im finding out a lot of things with everyones help on here   brakes are mounted behind the forks  and it does have celtic banding on the frame , what year do you think it was made 2003 ?
I think it was introduced in 2002, but that's from memory... I know I wanted one as soon as they came out, I'd already come across a couple of Rohloff bikes while touring in Germany and had made enquiries from several frame builders (Including Thorn) but the price was prohibitive so I bought a derailleur tourer, then the Raven came out and I had to start saving all over again! Thorn must have got a good deal with Rohloff, the Raven Tour in standard spec was a bargain compared to the price of the hub alone.
When I ordered in October 2004, there were some Celtic band models in stock, but not in the size/colour I wanted and the plain frames were on the way but hadn't arrived.  So yours will have originally have been bought around that time, though it's possible stock of some sizes lasted longer.
I have to go a long way back on this forum for details of mine
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=383.msg2603#msg2603

photos are on an account i can see but have long forgotten the password for :'(

Big Red by Paul, on Flickr

pocket rocket

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 02:01:41 pm »
hi jags  it is a nice bike im loving the way it rides , and the murial  depicts  the mining area i live in  local guy painted it  its managed 12months without being vandelised !!   may i ask what thorn you have ?

pocket rocket

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 02:06:51 pm »
for all the true thorn riders SORRY I HAD TO PUT A MODERN SADDLE ON MINE  :( the rolls saddle that was on it  almost broke my (bum) in half it would take 10 years to break the saddle in  :(

jags

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 04:22:04 pm »
hi jags  it is a nice bike im loving the way it rides , and the murial  depicts  the mining area i live in  local guy painted it  its managed 12months without being vandelised !!   may i ask what thorn you have ?
i have the Audax had the sherpa before that  another lovely bike but the Audax suits me much better.i sent Dan a few photos today i'll ask him to post them when he gets a chance.or you could have a look at Anto's audax  the full story is there the build from day one.crackin bike.

Jags
(better know as anto ;D

John Saxby

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 05:25:15 pm »
Great photo, pr, both the bike and the mural, the splash of red stands out nicely.

And Paul, your red-'n'-silver works very well indeed.

Cheers,  John